Red, White & Blue Berries

Better late than never! I have taken a page out of Nancine's guest blogger book! Now I will defend us a bit, we both live on the West Coast, which is 3 hours behind Leiha's timezone & sometimes with a late Saturday night (like mine last night) or a full moon (oh wait, that was last night as well), it can be hard to remember whose week it is! But also there may have been an event that we wanted to blog about but had not happened yet! My case in point for today, and also I was going to be away from my laptop until this evening!

Today was berry picking day at my Parent's house! They live an hour south of me and with my Mom awaiting her hip replacement a week from Tuesday, there is much more for me to do. Our plan was to have Belgian Waffles for brunch, because I have a great recipe and my Parents love them. Then on to the berry bushes. The waffles were great with fresh berries on top!!

We had already taken care of strawberries, but the Raspberries were ready and then I wandered on over to check the progress of the blueberries and they were ready for an initial picking! At least the Marion berries (which is a hybrid of Raspberries & blackberries and began in Marion County where they live) were not quite ready! I only found 5 ripe ones and of course they never even made it to the house! So now I'm home with some blueberries & raspberries along with some sweet black cherries from a roadside stand! I kept eating them on the drive back.

So it will be a cherry pie and a flag cake decorated with blueberries, strawberries & raspberries for the 4th of July! That will be my BBQ contribution! I know lots of people who have annual camping events, family reunions or fireworks parties. I never seem to do the same thing twice. Maybe that's because I have been in so many different places over the last few years! Do any of you out there have set plans year after year? My only constant seems to be BBQ, Berries & Fireworks no matter where I am!! But where ever I am I will always remember the struggle our forefathers went through to form a society where people can be free! Have a great Holiday, Be Safe & Have Fun!!
Share on Google Plus

About sparkle

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

9 Mannions Speak :

Aimee Elizabeth said...

Every time I see an anti-war protest, or hear about people trying to take God out of our schools, courthouses, etc. I try to calm myself with the reminder that although God was the reason this country was founded, and wars are what got us our freedom in the first place; it is because we have freedom that people can speak their minds. So I just exercise MY right to comment LOL!

We are going strawberry picking tomorrow, and my raspberry & cherry trees/bushes are ready now too! I love going out & picking them fresh.

We don't have any set traditions for the Fourth, but since we can still have fireworks in our county we usually go see the towns display and then come home to shoot off more :)

God bless America and the ones who fought/fight for her freedom and the freedom of those weaker!

Rosie said...

Wow, that sounds like so much fun. I miss having fresh road stands and picking fresh fruits.

We don't have any plans this year. It's weird cuz it's the middle of the week, and the DH still has to work till 3:00. So we're going to grill some steaks and I'm making macaroni salad and some kind of dessert. I have a recipe for a four-layer dessert with strawberries that I'd like to try. We'll probably end up going to a parking lot on the hill and watching fireworks instead of braving the crowds at the parks. The view is just as good.

Happy b-day to the good, old US of A!!

Leiha said...

I think religion is a personal thing and shouldn't be in schools unless it's a relgious schools, which the parents have the choice to put thir kids into. As for being anti-war, I am anti-war, that does not make me anti-American. So try not to run anyone down, like you said, we all are entitled to our own opinions.

Linda, I asked you to take pictures, LOL. I LOVE cherry pie, especially with ice cream! Of course, with you I would expect home made ice cream, LOL. And I've seen pictures of flag cakes but never had one boo hoo.

I did love all of the fruit stands in OR. Last year at this time I was picking off cherries from our cherry tree.

I haven't lived anywhere long enough to have traditions. This week I'm going to Brenda's for food, glorious food! She also has a pool and I'm bringing the karaoke, it's going to be a rocking good time!

Rosie, take a pic of that cake, I love fresh fruit!

sparkle said...

In defense of my lack of pics, I thought I had my camera but didn't & you can't get the same thing from the phone! LOL - Better work on that quick! I'll take one of the pie and/or cake and see if I can actually load it!!!

Leiha said...

You're forgiven this time *G*. Definitely take pics of your goodies Linda and of course post them here. Post them at the top so they don't get buried, so we can all drool over them!

Nes said...

YUM! Fruit pie! Can't wait to see the pics Lin(dah)!

Have fun and everyone enjoy the 4th! Will there be fireworks?

Melissa said...

Mmmmm....BBQ, berries, cherry pie, I love them all!

We used to pack up a bunch of food and go hang out at one of the parks. They usually have an all day thing going with arts and crafts and kiddie carnivals and live music and all, then fireworks at night, and we'd grill burgers and hot dogs and have watermelon.

But since my sister moved away, we haven't done it in a couple of years.

Thanks for answering my question about Cooking Light at my blog, Linda! We're trying a low-fat diet, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't using outdated recipes.

Hey Leiha..sorry I haven't visited in awhile. What are you learning, with all the codes?

Leiha said...

Missi, you'll have to wait and see, EG!

Where have you been lately? Besides letting the clutter win, LOL.

Melissa said...

Well, Leiha, that's a good question. I haven't been anywhere. Just here, at home I mean.
I've been pretty much spending the days like I usually do...doing my chores, knocking around, not much, whatever. But somehow, I look up, and a whole week has flashed by without my having realized it. I dunno.