It's a new year...

What will the first post of 2007 be? It's going to be about food of course!

Yesterday I was trying to decide what I wanted to eat for my NYE dinner. For some reason NYE and appetizers go hand in hand. So I searched the web to see what was simple (it is me we're talking about) and tasty and I found this recipe. Yes, I wanted something sort of healthy too but let's be real, I ate this with lime flavored tortilla chips, LOL.

Shrimp ceviche

INGREDIENTS:
3 lbs small raw shrimp, cleaned
4 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
6 limes, juiced
4 lemons, juiced
1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1 serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 of a cucumber, peeled and diced
1 red onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons tomato sauce
PREPARATION:
Lay out shrimp in the bottom of glass baking dish. Pour lemon and lime juice over them and refrigerate for 3 hours. The juice will "cook" the shrimp. Toss with remaining ingredients and refrigerate for one more hour or longer. Enjoy with tortillas or as a grilled fish topper. I actually halved the recipe, except I did use a whole cucumber and a whole pepper and still thought there was a lot. I also didn't use the tomato paste. The shrimp should be cut up into small pieces or it will take a lot longer then 3 hours to "cook". I had the shrimp cut up and at the 3 hour mark I cut them smaller, plus, you will be scooping them onto your chips so you want them in bite sized pieces. Ceviche is something I usually enjoy while at restaurant but I am happy to say that other then waiting for it to cook it's really easy to make. I would recommend making it sooner and letting it marinate longer. I think it tasted even better today then it did yesterday. You could also use this recipe as the filling for tacos if you want.

Here's my secret to squeezing lemons and limes. I saw this on some cooking show. I peeled the lemons and lime and rolled them on the counter while pushing down, then you cut in half and it's sooooo easy to squeeze.

Tomorrow I'm getting up and going to the gym. No more excuses. I know once I get into a routine it won't be a problem and it's all about the mindset. Instead of trying to hit a class where if I miss it I just don't go, I'm going to just get up and go. I have a book on tape loaded on my ipod and will work on the elliptical as a basis and then see about adding classes. I also bought an armband for my ipod. Like I said, no more excuses. For me it has to be a mindset so I'm going to bed knowing that when I wake up, I'm going to the gym. I want to begin the year off right! Good luck to all of you with your New Year's goal.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

15 Mannions Speak :

Rosie said...

Ohhh, I'm so glad you posted the recipe. As I was watching you eat, my mouth was watering. It sounded so good and I love me the shrimp! Thanks, chick. Keep posting the recipes. So far, you're 2 for 2 with me. *G* MWAHHHH!!!!!

Leiha said...

Isn't it funny that the non-cooker of the bunch is the one who always shares the recipes, LOL. You know me, I love to share! You'll have to let me know what the fam thinks. I think you'll love it but am not sure on the boys. Dao loved it.

Aimee Elizabeth said...

That recipe sounds good to me, except for the cilantro. NO THANKS!
We grow it here and just the smell is enough to run me out of a greenhouse. Don't like the taste either LOL!

I wish I lived close enough to town to go to the gym, but it's just a little too long of a drive to make it practical. Soooo I have a Total Gym "Club", a treadmill and a soloflex. There is a couple other pieces I would like, but due to all the books the basement is getting full LOL!

BTW Leiha, I made Nessies recipe for the Oliebollen tonight, and OMG!!!!!!!!!!!
They are AWESOME! I made the apple ones, and they did not last long. Even my hubby who doesn't like sweets chowed the heck out of them LOL! And I know your lazy, but they were not hard to make at all!

MWAH!

Nes said...

LOL! Of course your first blog would be about food! I can't wait to try out the recipe! So those are the shrimps you were marinating... mmmm... looks and sounds good.

Good for you, chick, to start going to the gym again! Anything on volleyball as well? I can't wait to start again too.

Aims! You tried out the Oliebollen recipe?!? Excellent! And glad you liked it! BTW, if you make the "hartige bollen" don't sprinkle powder sugar on it. Ick.

Ro, I'm making that recipe you posted this weekend. I can't wait to try it.

K, I actually have to do some work today... yuck. So I guess I'll see you all later.

MWAAAAAAH!

Anonymous said...

That recipe sounds great!

I like that you have altered your mindset to exercise. My wish is to do the same. Once I get into a routine, it will be much better. It's just getting into it that is the problem.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I made the whole family take down Christmas decorations and clean out their closets.

This morning I slept in and let the kids get themselves out the door for school. I usually do that with the boys but I'm sitting at the computer with my cuppa not in bed snoozing!"-) Okay I'm up with Emma so I'm not a total slug mom!

Today instead of going to the gym I'm going to stay in my pjs & finish catching up at ABC.com with the Brother & Sister series and Ugly Betty.

So far 2007 is working for me!

Leiha said...

Yum, I love cilantro! I love the smell, I love the taste!

I'm not much of a frier of foods, if it needs more oil then a stir fry requires I don't usually do it. Plus, I still have sweets galore. Maybe next NYE I'll give it a shot.

I just got back from the gym, ugh! The elliptical kicked my ass! I was sweating up a storm, my body definitely is in shock, LOL.

No, I haven't looked further into the volleyball.

Karen, it's even tougher to get motivated coming off of an injury. Don't push yourself too hard chick.

Mich, you go go go so many days of the year. You deserve to start off the year relaxing, we know it won't last too long! Enjoy your tv shows! BTW, I watched the eps of Kidnapped on the net, it was great!

Nes said...

LOL! So now your body will probably never recover again..... I have spinning tomorrow. And tennis training Sunday. I can't wait!

When I grow up, I want Lina's body... LOL!

Leiha said...

I think I need a life size picture of Lina in a sports bra to motivate me on the days where I don't feel like going to the gym. Originally I thought of taking a pic of me in a bikini and putting that on the fridge but what if I had company????

Rachael Narins said...

As the woman who was on the phone with you as this was marinating, AND the woman who noted all the yummy sounding treats you blog about, I am not sure if I feel GUILTY or not. Should I?

Leiha said...

Hey chick, long time no see! You're one of my cooking inspirations! I wish I could take pics of food half as well as you but all of my expertise goes into taking my own pics, LOL.

Nes said...

LOL! Those pics never work anyways. And if you had company, well..... I'm sure they're gonna say: What the hell happened?!? LMFAO!!!

Leiha said...

Puh! Most of my friends are nicer then you! I live in the south where people practice this thing called manners!

Nes said...

Admit it.... you love me!!!! LOL!

Leiha said...

My lips are sealed, LOL.