Buffet 101

Now Jennie asked a question on Nes' blog that I thought I would answer here. After all I do love to share what knowledge I can and I have many years of buffet eating experience. I can't pinpoint exactly when my love of buffets developed but I'm sure it has to do with the fact that I am all about getting as much bang for my eating buck as possible!

I've gotten to the point where not just any buffet will do, no hometown buffet for me, LOL. It's not like I have lofty taste buds (although I do) but I just want food that tastes good!

Here is Nancy and I at the seafood buffet at the Rio in Vegas. That plate across from me is Nes'. While I love me the seafood and the seafood buffets I can't get stuffed on seafood. I quickly reach a maximum seafood limit, even if I'm not full and have to eat something else. My fave seafood restaurant was at a military post in VA, I used to drive down from Ft Meade (rather hitch a ride since I didnt' drive, LOL) just to go eat here. Not only was the seafood superb but they had a 3 piece band and the lead singer was a woman in her 60s wearing a sequined dress singing the electric slide! Loved it!

You all know I love Korean food and when I lived in LA I had a favorite restaurant that was an all you can eat Korean restaurant. Since Korean food is not cheap (since it's all about the meat) I really got my money's worth here because it cost the same as going to a regular Korean restaurant. I loved to take people here. This pic was taken by Su. One side was all meats and the other was the side dishes. They also had lots of soups and the other side of the restuarant had a small salad bar.

Finally, the best buffet in recent memory was at the Bally's Sterling Champagne Brunch which I blogged about back in April. I cannot say enough good things about this place. Yes, we paid a lot of money for this buffet but it was a fabulous experience!The champagne never stopped!

Now onto my eating rules. It pains me to go to a buffet with an amateur. Yes, some people just got for a few key things and they're happy. More power to those eaters. I am NOT that person, LOL. When I am at a buffet I was quality but I also love quantity! There are different rules for different buffets. Like at my korean restaurant there's tons of meat to choose from. My favorite is the kalbi so that would be all I would eat. Sometimes I feel like I should try the other meats but I don't like them as much so why waste precious stomach room eating things just because they were there. Don't do that.

Also, don't starve yourself in prep for a buffet. Your stomach will shrink and you will not be able to eat as much as you want and that would be a shame. I'm not saying pig out before hand but you should eat something during the day. Now buffet eating is all about priorities. Unless you're a vegetarian, do not head to the salad bar! I always go straight for the seafood and prime rib. I like to also serve up small amounts of things because if you like it you can get more but if you don't then you're not wasting as much and you don't feel guilty about not eating it. Remember, stomach room is limited. Don't waste it eating something you don't like just because it's on your plate. Once I am done with my prime rib and seafood (I usually put a veggie on there too but I enjoy veggies) which depending on how good it is and my mood could be two plates worth that's when you go for the other foods. That means do not put mashed potatoes on your plate for the first trip. I love mashed potatoes but I have to have room to eat the other foods. If I have room later, then I'll scoop some up. This will also be the plate for any salads or cheeses you're interested in. Once I'm done with the sides then I'll move on to dessert. I don't have a huge sweet tooth so I don't need a lot of room for it. If I see things I'm interested in, I'll serve up small portions, mainly so I can taste. I love soft serve ice cream which most buffets have so I'll eat that with a couple of bites of fruit and call it a day.

Yes, that's a lot of food, which is why I don't eat a buffet everyday, LOL. The trick also is to not to eat to the point of pain. Yes, I have done this, I learned that lesson the hard way. Please learn from my mistake, it hurts. When it feels painful, put down the fork! If I can help one person have a more successful buffet eating experience, then my job is done!
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

9 Mannions Speak :

Anonymous said...

Ah honey. Tips from the master. I love it.

I remember that seafood buffet. The sushi was pretty good!

The only problem with crab legs (even tho I love 'em) is that they are a lot of work. I guess that way you can get a mini-workout in while you're eating!

Leiha said...

I know what you mean about the crab legs. I splurged and bought some king crab legs for New Years and on the last leg I totally gouged my finger. Oh well, it was worth it, LOL.

Aimee Elizabeth said...

Great blog Leiha!
Great buffet basics that everyone should know! Heh!

Yes the Bally's was expensive, but IMO it was worth every penny, the food was superb, and of course, the company was 5 star. Best buffet on the planet *G*

I learned to eat crab legs from the master, my dh worked in Alaska on an assortment of crab and salmon fishing boats. He knows all the good tricks, so I never injure myself eating them LOL!

Dunginess is a ton of work, but has excellent flavor. King crab legs are pretty tough to beat though!

Leiha said...

Yeah, I can't wait to go back to Bally's! One of the best reasons to go to Vegas, besides hanging with my girlfriends.

I am a pro at esting crab (I had to teach Rosie) but king crab legs are new to me and my finger slipped, grrr. Nancy is tried and true Dungeness girl but I actually enjoy blue crab more but without the bay seasoning, to me, that ruins the flavor of the crab.

Nes said...

Great tutorial chick!!! LOL! We can all learn something from this.

I, like you love buffets, but really after 1 or 2 servings I'm done.

I remember that seafood buffet we went to in Vegas. It was fun!! Aaah the memories... *sniff*

I wish I could have tried the Bally's one... it sounds great!

Rosie said...

Wow, that about summed up buffets all in one blog entry. I love it!!! I enjoyed the Rio seafood buffet too, but I like more variety. And, yes, Leiha is the one who taught me how to eat crablegs. I would have never touched them had it not been for her. LOL. Now I can't get enough, especially when we go to the Green Valley buffet (I took Leiha there a couple of times). Even got Vito to love them. We have a great Asian buffet here called Buffet Asia. That's my new fave these days.

Leiha said...

If you make it to the states in Mar we're definitely hitting that buffet again so you can experience it first hand! Not everyone needs to go overboard on the buffet, if you're happy with one or two plates that's awesome!

I do enjoy the Green Valley Buffet, not as good as Bally's but not as expensive either, LOL. And Bally's doesn't have crab legs! But oh, their prime rib is divine!

Jennifer said...

Well, now I know! LOL

My sister Pam gets so disgusted with me because I never eat my money's worth. I always have soup and salad, and I never pass up potatoes! I'm gonna try your method next time.

Crab legs are too much work and I'm too lazy! If only I could find someone to crack them and dig out the meat. No takers yet, believe me, I've asked. I just get laughs until they realize I'm serious...*hmmph!*

Leiha said...

LMAO Jennie! OK, when you want to splurge get some fresh king crab legs, all you have to do is break it in half and pull out these huge chunks of meat, YUM!

Girl, I don't think I could eat at a buffet with you, LOL. Soup and salad???? OK, print out this post and study it, impress your sister the next time around:)