I did it!

I finally bought a microwave today! I don't know how I survived so long without one. I don't know why I waited so long to buy one. I don't need the most state of the art microwave, I really only use it to re-heat my food and my kitchen is small so I don't need a big one so I went with the most in-expensive one they had and spent all of $28 on it! Again, why did I wait?

I also decided that I wanted to buy a crock pot. I know, two big purchases in one day and both related to cooking, LOL. Ok, cooking could be an exaggeration on the microwave. I have never owned a crock pot but I have been wanting one for about a year and now that I have a real winter to live through, brrrrr, I figured it's the perfect time to get one so I am soliciting recipes. My crockpot didn't come with any recipes and I could look some up online and probably will but I figured I would get some fan favorites. I wanted to get the big crock pot but Franklin pointed out the fact that I'm cooking for one and the food would have mold on it before I could eat it all so I got the 3.6 quart one. Did I mention the price? I was expecting to pay at leat $20, I spent $14 for one. Brandsmart is a fun store to shop in (I bougt my tv there too) as long as you don't mind bright lights and brights signs. So if you have any fave recipes you can share please post them.

Here is Aimee's fave recipe to get the ball started:

Island Beef

2 to 2 ½ pounds beef top round steak, trimmed of fat

2 large onions cut into 12 thin wedges each

1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks, juice reserved

½ cup homemade or canned beef broth

5 Tblsp. Red wine vinegar

¾ tsp Garlic powder

¾ tsp Seasoned salt

¾ tsp sweet Paprika

¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper

1 green bell pepper, cut into 1” squares

1 red bell pepper, cut into 1” squares

3 Tblsp. Brown sugar

1 ½ Tblsp. Cornstarch

2 Tblsp soy sauce

2 large tomatoes cut into wedges

Cut the beef into thin strips, diagonally across the grain. Add to 3½ QT or larger electric slow cooker. Add the onions, pineapple juice, broth, 3 tablespoons of the vinegar, garlic powder, seasoned salt, paprika, and black pepper. Mix well
Cover and cook on the low heat setting 6 to 6 ½ hours, or until the beef is just tender
Increase the heat setting to high. Stir in the bell peppers and the brown sugar. Mix together the soy sauce, cornstarch, and remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar. Stir into the cooker, mixing well. Cook, covered on high 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens slightly. Just before serving, stir in the tomato wedges and pineapple chunks
Serve over steamed white rice, or egg noodles.

It has way more ingredients than I normally cook with so it may be awhile before I cook it but thought I would share. Aimee loves this dish. Enjoy!

BTW, I did not utilize either of my new toys. After shopping I needed a nap. So food shopping is postponed until tomorrow. Tonight was cheese and crackers, leftovers from when Lina and Nancy were here, LOL.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

8 Mannions Speak :

Nes said...

w00t! I can't believe you've gone w/out a nuker for so long! And the prices, excellent! I love crock pot meals. I'm sure I have one or two at home which I definitely will share with ya if I find it. LOL. I'm going to try Aime's recipe.

Rosie said...

Girl, you are just getting a microwave? Now if you can stock up on the groceries, between the microwave and the crockpot you'll never need to leave home. I have a couple recipes too that I can send you. I love the crockpot!!! Thanks for sharing Aimee's recipe, it sounds delish and something that the fam would like.

Bo said...

Will definitely have to try Island beef,sounds good.I wish I had a recipe to give you,but I think the only thing we ever make in ours is chili,and the DH just kinda tosses it together.I'll have to hit my Mom up,I gave her a small one for Christmas last year & she makes stuff in it all the time.I bet you could make scalloped potatoes & ham in it,that would be yummy.

NancyB said...

Did you-all notice she waited to purchase food preperation devices until after I left? That works out well for me though... we ate out all the time. I have a great recipe but it is at home, I will reply with it later tonight. Happy cooking Leiha.

Anonymous said...

Easy Chicken and Lima Beans
( since you seem to love lima beans!!!)


Easy Chicken and Lima Beans
INGREDIENTS:

* 3 to 4 pounds chicken pieces
* salt and pepper
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 2 large potatoes, cut in 1-inch cubes
* 1 package frozen lima beans, thawed
* 1 cup chicken broth
* I onion, diced

( I sometimes add spices/sauces from my cupboard - whatever you like with lima beans or chicken but it is fine as it is. Sometimes I don't put the potato in but serve it with noodles or rice. I also like to cut up peppers and mushrooms and put them in for a few minutes to stay crisp at the end. I like to use my imagination)

PREPARATION:
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil and butter in large skillet; fry chicken until browned on both sides. Place chicken in crockpot with remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, until chicken is tender.

Anonymous said...

Yummy Yum Yum...

Cock and Bull...(erm, Chicken and Beef Stew)

3 tbs steak sauce
2 chicken boullion cubes
1 tsp salt (or 1 tbs fish sauce, my asian sister)
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
1/2 c hot water
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 lb stew beef
(cube meats into bite size chunks, not too small!)
1 med onion chopped
2 med potatoes (yukon gold) peeled & cubed
2 carrots peeled and sliced
1 can (15 oz) stewed tomatoes
1/4 c flour

Combine steak sauce, bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, sugar and hot water in slow cooker; stir to blend ingredients. Add remaining ingredients except flour; stir gently. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours.To thicken gravy, ( yeah baby, there's gravy!) make a smooth paste of the flour and 1/4 cup of cold water. Stir into stew in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH until thickened (about 45 mins to 1 hour).
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Enjoy! My family loves this. You could prolly use chicken breast instead of thighs, but I find the thighs to be more flavorful and they don't "shred" like breasts do.

Leiha said...

Nes and Rosie, I'll be looking forward to your crockpot meals. Remember, I need easy recipes, not because I can't handle complicated ones, just because I don't want to, lol.

Bo, I love scalloped potatoes, I definitely need that recipe!

Nancy, if I would have cooked while you were here that would have meant I would have had to work, c'mon now, LOL.

Reny, that totally looks like a doable recipe. Thank you!

Jennie, I've been wondering where you have been. Thank you for the recipe! I was trying to decide between making beef or chicken stew, what a great idea to combine (and yes, fish sauce is a must, LOL).

Melissa said...

Great buys, Leiha.

The only thing I can cook in my crockpot is,
1 roast, fill to cover roast with water, salt and pepper.

Kindof plain, but, that's what I like. I like to pour the *gravy* (aka grease) over homemade biscuits (that my Mom bakes)(I can make biscuits, just don't like to).

And you can take the leftover roast, shred it up and add bar-b-q sauce and have bar-b-q sandwiches the next day.