Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!

It's the most wonderful time of the year, fa la la la la la la la! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of all. You would think it is my birthday because it's a day all about me but there's pressure that comes with birthdays. I don't mind getting older (not yet anyway) but there's pressure to go out and have a great time or to do something special, although I don't mind the gifts. As for Christmas, it's a stressful time of year, trying to figure out what to get everyone. But Thanksgiving is an eating holiday, what could be better? No gifts to buy, it's all about the food and naps are expected. Since I have lived away from my family most of my adult life every Thanksgiving has a different feel. No big traditions for me, other then food.

The most important element of my Thanksgiving is gravy. I actually went to a Turkey day where they didn't have gravy. I think I blocked the rest of the night out of my head. It was quite traumatic. One year I did make giblet gravy for my family. I had a great easy recipe. No separating of any drippings. The thing is, I didn't realize corn startch must boil to thicken and the worst part is, I normally cook everything on high but not this time. So I cooked and cooked waiting for it to thicken. Well I cooked half of it away before I was told that it had to boil. The gravy tasted wonderful, but I come from a large family, not enough to go around, too bad I don't still have that recipe, LOL. Now if I need gravy I'll buy it in a jar, I am not too proud!

Another element in all of my Thanksgivings is friends or family. It's very traditional to say what we are thankful for. I am thankful for both and for working from home, LOL.

Lina posted this on the inside but I wanted to share it with everyone:

'Twas the night of Thanksgiving, but I just couldn't sleep
I tried counting backwards, I tried counting sheep.
The leftovers beckoned - the dark meat and white
But I fought the temptation with all of my might.
Tossing and turning with anticipation
The thought of a snack became infatuation.
So, I raced to the kitchen, flung open the door
And gazed at the fridge, full of goodies galore.

I gobbled up turkey and buttered potatoes,
Pickles and carrots, beans and tomatoes.
I felt myself swelling so plump and so round,
'Til all of a sudden, I rose off the ground.

I crashed through the ceiling, floating into the sky
With a mouthful of pudding and a handful of pie.
But, I managed to yell as I soared past the trees...
Happy eating to all - pass the cranberries, please.

May your stuffing be tasty, may your turkey be plump.
May your potatoes 'n gravy have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious, may your pies take the prize,
May your Thanksgiving dinner stay off of your thighs.


Please oh please may my Thanksgiving dinner stay off of my thighs and even more important can I direct it to my boobs? I hope that all of my American bloggers have a fabulous and gluttunous holiday and for all of my international viewers, I hope that you have a big fabulous meal in celebration with us.

Here is my Thanksgiving motto: Eat early, Eat often!
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

7 Mannions Speak :

Bo said...

Happy Thanksgiving Leiha!!!

I LOVE the gravy,but I can't make it to save my life,so I also do the can or jar thing,plus I make my Mom do some from-scratch when the turkey is done.Every year she asks what can she do to help,and every year I tell her "Make some gravy",LOL.

I have to have enough stuffing-I get pi$$y if I don't get enough stuffing,so I have to stuff the bird & make an extra pan of stuffing that has carrots and brown sugar on the bottom.I know,it sounds kinda gross,but it is SOOOOO good!

This year I am trying Judy's pumpkin bread recipe,so I am only making 2 pies,my DH almost had a seizure when I told him-he said he was going to buy 6 pies from the store,the GLUTTON,LOL!!!! I tried not to laugh at him for this and failed miserably,EG!

Nes said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all in the USofA!

Gravy is muchos importantes. I need gravy for my potatoes or it's just no good. Actually, I love my sauces. Any sauce, I just need sauce.

Chez, I agree, we roast pumpkin and eat it as veggies, never as pie. As I've never been a pie or cake eater, I won't miss it....

Enjoy your day of glutton! LOL!

Leiha said...

Bo, I am not a stuffing girl, I don't know why, I've tried many different versions. So if I'm making thanksgiving it's usually stove top for the guests, LOL. Only two pies? You are a meanie! What kind of pies?

Chez, everything tastes fabulous with whipped cream which is my favorite reason to eat pumpkin pie. I do a slice of pie and a tub of cool whip, it's fabulous!

Nes, I think te sauce thing is an asian thing. I am all about gravies, sauces and such because I hate dry meat. Evn though I eat the drk meat on a turkey it still needs to be drowning in gravy, LOL.

Besides being a glutton I am also a procrastinator which means I have to get my butt to the grocery store this morning. Nothing like waiting until the last minute!

Leiha said...

Girl, you know I totally want to try that! Mainly because I love duck! Feel free to cook tat for me anytime you wish Lina, I know you want to experiment, LOL.

I hope that your Thanksgiving is Fabulous! I know the dinner will be (feel free to take pictures).

NancyB said...

I have two thanksgiving favorites. The first is a green jello salid called seafoam salid. I dont know who invented it but they must have been crazy - green and yello jello, condensed milk, pineapple, walnuts, mayo and horseradish. See sounds yicky - but it's not - it is sooooo yummie. In my family we have the lovers and the haters. Unfortunatly the haters outnumber the lovers this Thanksgiving so no green jello for me!
The other favorite is my mom's cornbread dressing with her homemade gravy. Every year I say I am going to learn how to make it... but it never happens. I want to help but I usually end up running erands and sitting on the couch reading Thanksgiving adds.
HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYONE - may all your turkeys be defrosted.

Aimee Elizabeth said...

Happy Thanksgiving Leiha! MWAH!

My DH does 90% of the cooking, I just make whatever salads and the deviled eggs, then I do the table up all nice, and light the candles LOL!
I do try to do most of the clean-up but this year I have the kid to help *snickers*

I hope everyone has a marvelous day!

Rosie said...

Happy Turkey Day, sweetie!!! I'm totally a stuffing girl. As long as I have stuffing and gravy, I don't even need a lot of everything else (except pie, of course). *G* Bo, the pumpkin bread sounds good. I'm getting hungry just typing all this. And that turducken - I've seen that before on Food Network, I think. It looks great and prolly tastes heavenly!