Desperate times....

call for desperate measures. That's right, due to my utter lack of food at home yesterday, I had to go grocery shopping! Gone are the days where I would shop for 2 weeks work of food, I generally shop for cereal and fruit. But now I have a crock pot! So I searched for online recipes trying to figure out what I would make. These recipes seemed like too much work so I said screw it, I'll do it myself! So I bought ingredients to make a chicken soup. Actually, I was going for more of a chicken stew feel but soup is what it became, LOL. Instead of a bunch of spices I bought a dry chicken soup base and added chicken breasts cubed (I am so a dark meat girl but I figure since it was in a soup it wouldn't be dry) which I seasoned with my go to seasonings, pepper, season all and fish sauce. Then I put in a sweet potatoe. I love potatoes but I know sweet potatoes are healthier and only put in half a potatoe. I used canned mushrooms. I was going to use fresh but figure they woul be mush by the time I was done cooking them. I did a taste test and I had put too much soup mix in an it was salty so I had to pull out some of the broth and put in water and then it was perfect. About an hour before I ate it I put in lima beans and peas. I need greenery in my soup. I have to say, it turned out pretty good. I do miss the dark meat and when I try Jennie's recipe I will do what she suggested, LOL. I think I need to invest in some gladware though because there is no way I'm going to be able to eat all of this soup before I get sick of it! Time to start freezing meals for the future.

BTW, while perusing the soup aisle I made a very dangerous to me discovery. They had Lipton's dry vegetable soup mix, otherwise known as my very favorite potatoe chip dip in the world! I love this stuff but it's very rarely carried in stores. I mean, I lived in LA for 8 years and could never find it. Stores always carry the onion but not the vegetable soup. I've tried other brands such as knors and it's not the same. I bought 2 boxes and made one before I even made my soup! So while I used white meat chicken and sweet potatoe to be more healthy I was sitting there eating potatoe chips (Lays) and dip! Like I always say, you only live once!
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

8 Mannions Speak :

eternity said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I have seen a slow cooker cookbook with like 6 ingredients or less...Not sure if the bookstores still carry it, but Amazon may. I'll try to find the title for you.

I love cooking with the crock because you can actually taste the veggies. So much more flavor. Orrington makes a delish soup base I use instead of boullion cubes.

I haven't posted in a coupla because I had my wisdom teeth removed ...and now I'm dumb.

*Hee Hee* No, seriously, I should have had them taken out at 18 but I'm a sissy la-la so I HAD to have it done at 35! Not fun. Nobody told me I would be in terrible pain AND get a fat face too!

Have fun with your appliances....I need to go ketchup on Nes's blog...something about a toothbrush. *winks*

Nes said...

LOL@Jennie! I mentioned to L that I hadn't seen you in a while and here you are! Ouch! Wisdom teeth removal sucks. Hope you're feeling better.

Glad your first crockpot recipe worked chick! I was gonna do the whole Betty Crocker thing today, but I forgot we are having dinner at Michel and Linda. I'll post my recipe as soon as I find it. I found it on the net and tried it a year ago and it tasted good.

Leiha said...

6 ingredients or less is perfect! When I look a long list of ingredients I already decide to not make something, I know it's mental, I will try and get better, LOL. I will look for rrington, thanks for the tip Jennie and I hope that you are feeling better. I had an old military dentist take out mine, it as horrible, his grip kept slipping!

Have fun with Michel and Linda tonight Nes! I will talk to you later.

Anonymous said...

You did what I do when I slow cook. Modify and keep it simple (I use soup bases too for flavour when I am tired and just want an easy, good meal). 6 or fewer ingredients are simple but good.

I usually leave most veggies out at first(except onions and celery) and add them in the last hour as I prefer it (no matter what the recipe says). I only add enough for that day's meal and each time I heat it up I put fresh veggies in it.

Rosie said...

Hey chick, guess what I found when I was cleaning my pantry - my Betty Crocker Crockpot Cookbook. It's chock full of easy recipes. I'll flip through, copy some and send via snail mail. Anything to help a good cause - Leiha's appetite. *G* I love my crock too!!

Aimee Elizabeth said...

OMFG!
Teeth removed in the military? I'd pass out from fear before I ever got near the chair! I'll send you some CP books chic, there is TONS out there.

MWAH!

Leiha said...

Reny, great idea on adding fresh veggies.

Rosie, thanks for contributing to the cause, LOL.

Aimee, I got lots of dentl work done while in the army, the only bad experience was the wisdom teeth, LOL.