I am a summer fruit girl...

I love to go to the store and buy tons of peaches and nectarines and it's just not summer if there's not a watermelon sitting in my fridge. I love my fruits juicy and flavorful and it saddens me when winter comes along and my choices are limited. You could by fruit off season but not only is expensive, it's not usually very good. So today while at the market I was stuck loading up on apples and oranges. Don't get me wrong, sometimes there's nothing better then a nice crisp apple or a cold fresh from the fridge orange but if I had my choices it would be a sweet watermelon I would be biting into, not an apple.

I love watermelon so much that one of the times I hurt myself while eating was due to watermelon. As you all know I love the buffets and I used to eat at this one in LA a lot with my brother that was a sushi buffet. Not high class sushi but it would do. They also had a decent fruit and dessert section. Well the watermelon looked so good I couldn't not eat it. Plus, the slices were sooo small. Of course I could eat a couple of slices, to cleanse my pallet and top off my meal. Well you know that Monty Python skit where they eat one tiny wafer and explode? That was me! I was literally in pain. My brother and I were going to San Diego that day. I could not drive. It hurt to have the seat belt on my belly. So my brother had to drive my car while I laid back and wallowed in my misery. That is the day I learned a tough lesson. You CAN eat too much.

Another time my family was at an all you can eat seafood buffet and we mortified Nancy because we kept taking all of the watermelon everytime they set it out. As you can see, when it comes to food, my family makes me proud!
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

6 Mannions Speak :

Rosie said...

The thought of seeing Nancy's face as you guys cleaned up the watermelon at the buffet just cracks me up. I know how you love the juicy fruits!!! I miss all the summer fruit too. Apples, oranges and bananas just don't do it like a good peach. Mmmmm.

Anonymous said...

You are so funny. I love watermelon too. In fact, we just went grocery shopping and my son wanted one, so of course, I bought one. I have no idea what it will taste like this time of year, but I hope it's good!

I always forget how much water is in watermelon too! You should probably get good fruit down there though, wouldn't you?

Nes said...

Good gads! Too funny! Yes, you CAN eat too much.

I love summer fruits too. I love watermelon but given a choice between pineapple and watermelon, well the pineapple is my choice of fruit. Dip it in sal and soy sauce and I'm good to go!

Leiha said...

I agree Rosie, I also bought some bananas, not so yummie. You know when I used to take the kids out to eat I would make them eat until the were ready to explode, I wanted my money's worth, LOL. I once had the boys see who could eat the most crab legs as I cheered them on.

You'll have to let me know if the watermelon was good Karen. My summer was spent in transition and I didn't feast on watermelon like I normally do.

Girl, I do love fresh pineapple too but eating too much can tear up my mouth, not so with watermelon, LOL. You nd your soy sauce, dang girl, you are a flip!

Anonymous said...

When Tim used to go to Mexico for business, he came back with the best stuff to dip pineapple in. It is a mix of dry hot spices (cayenne, etc.). You cut up pineapple and dip it, and OMG, your mouth explodes. Even my kids love it.

Leiha said...

Karen, I know what you're talking about. In little mexicos, aka Los Angeles, the stores had large mexican spice sections. You should check some local markets if you have a lot of Mexicans, you may be able to find it there.