I could blame the tryptophan

on why this blog is late but it's lte because I was being lazy and didn't feel like downloading my pics from my camera and I couldn't do post Thanksgiving blog without pictures! It would not only be un-American but un-Leiha!

Karen so kindly invited me to her big family dinner. All of her family came into town and converged on Karen's sister's house, which is conveniently less then 10 minutes from mine as well as her sister's hubby's family so there was lots of food and lots of family. I pretty much let them know that Karen's family was mine. Should I have waited for them to let me know instead of inviting myself into their family?

I was totally comfortable there, considering I was the only person there not "technically" related to anyone. I was so comfortable there that I stayed an hour after Karen left, LOL.

I was so busy chatting with the fam I missed when the turkey was brought out. But it was still fun watching him carve it. It was a 23lb bird and it was yummie!
Karen's mom spent a lot of time working on the candied yams. I don't think I've ever actually had candied yams. I've had many different yam dishes and I thought they were ok, nothing special. Well now I know. It's all about the candied yams. It really does taste like it has a candy coating around it.For my contribution I brought along my cucumber salad. Too bad not a lot of people like onions which I put in there, LOL. Also, some of the other side dishes were cole slaw (it was soooo good), green bean casserole, stuffing, cranberry sauce, fresh corn (from the farm!) and of course, mashed potatoes and gravy! Lots and lots of gravy! The cool thing about the plates we used was they had raised edges so I poured tons of gravy on my plate without worrying about the overflow, it was awesome!To top it off there was sparkling wine to wash everything down with. I got worried i was going to be the first person to clean my plate so I slowed down a bit. I was full by the time I cleaned my plate but I still had to get more yams, turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy as well as the corn. Most everyone got seconds. I don't know how it happened but suddenly the table was clean and I was still eating! Literally, I was the only one eating and half the people were gone and everyone's plates had been cleared.

Since I was busy trying to digest my food I wasn't able to get pics of the desserts. There was a pumpkin cheesecake which was sooooo creamy! Then there was a pecan pie, a sort of upside down pecan pie because the crust was put on the top, it was soooo ooey and gooey, i want to get this recipe. Not because I am going to make it but I want to share it with you it's sooo awesome! I really wish I had a pic to share. Unfortunately I was so full I could only have a few bites of each. I didn't even try the cookies or cherry pie. I also won the award for the last one to finish dessert, LOL.

The worst thing about not hosting is not having the leftovers. I got so full that after the meal I don't even think about more food. Now I'm thinking about the food, LOL. I may have to go buy me a turkey sammich, although Neil was telling me that Hardees has a jalapeno hamburger that is to die for. Hmmmm, choices!
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

5 Mannions Speak :

Melissa said...

Sounds like you had a great T'giving, Leiha. That was sweet of Karen to invite you to her family dinner.

You should have took along some tupperware and loaded you up some leftovers.
I took my Mom's bowls back from the last time I was there - and left with everyone of them full again.

Glad you had a good T'giving, hope you have a great weekend.

Leiha said...

Normally I am not shy about taking home leftovers but since they only just realized they inherited me I decided to break them in gently. Next year, watch out!

Chez, I've never had a plum pudding or brandy custard. Color me intrigued! You'll have to share some of your holiday traditions with us (more like your holiday food, LOL).

Rosie said...

Wow, what a spread. The food looked awesome. But no leftovers? Aargh, that's the best part. Give the family time. You're right - by next year they'll tell you to bring tupperware. *G*

Nes said...

LMFAO! You stayed on after they left?!? So you! LOL!!

Glad you had a great time and the food looks delish!!!

Leiha said...

Rosie, I went to the store and made my own leftovers, LOL. It wasn't as good unfortunately, I did buy microwavable mashed potatoes!

Nes, you know I made myself comfortable there, actually they made me feel so comfortable that I didn't feel the need to leave, well, until my show came on, LOL.