Borders

Hi. I hope you find this as exciting as I did and I am not totally shaming Leiha's blog! I see she has posted before I could get my a into g, but here it is anyway!

Tonight I went to my 1st Borders Store. Now you may wonder why I am treating this as a somewhat religious experience, but you have to understand the typical New Zealand book store. We have 3 main chains in NZ and they all suck to put it mildly. Most of them have 1 bay of romances, which include such things as 40 or so of the latest Mills and Boon and 10 or so Avon historical romances. Usually 3 of those Avons are Johanna Lindsey re prints, on their umpteenth go round. No disrespect to the Lindsey of course! No Ward, no Feehan, no Carlyle, no Brockmann, no Robards, no Balogh, not a brass monkey and certainly no Moning! Most of my purchases are online, which is fine but there is something about picking a book up and holding it in your hands before buying.

So to go into a store and find 2 lines of shelves of books I enjoy reading so much, to be able to pick them up and look at them before I spend my cash, to just basically stand and drool was as close to heaven as I have been at least since Wednesday night!

I went in after work tonight, it was a beautiful warm evening here in Wellington. Had made my son go with me, under much protest and it was wonderful. I spent much moolah and got three books, almost didn't know what to get. I mean, oh my lord there were shelves and shelves of them!!!! I smiled several times at my husband rather mistily, to much eye rolling. It was wonderful though and I can tell you I shall be back there again as soon as the bank balance can stand it!!!

Here is a pic of the evening here and the boys. I had word clothes on so NO photo!

Have a groovy weekend!
Sarah
Share on Google Plus

About Sarah

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

8 Mannions Speak :

Leiha said...

Hey chick, thanks for guesting, I always love it. I think we take for granted going to bookstores here but whe I was in Europe seeing Bookie go crazy at the american Bool Center really made me feel for her, especially with those prices, LOL. That is so sweet that you got misty eyed while in there and it was a family adventure, how cool! So what books did you buy?

Bo said...

I would love to have a Borders here-the only "big" chain we have is B.Dalton and it's been over a year since I bought anything from them-I HATE them.They NEVER have the new releases out on the day they are supposed to be,and their whole 'tude about it just sucks.I buy prolly 85-90% of my new releases online at Amazon,with the rare,hopeful trip to Wal-mart,Target,Kmart,etc.I was lucky & found the new Ward at Target.

Sounds like you had a great trip Sarah!

Leiha,I think you're right about the prices-everytime I look at the US price compared to the Canadian $$ for something,I just shake my head-I can't imagine having to pay even more than we do here! I think Reny told me once that a hardback in CAN is close to 40 or $50,for something we would pay no more than $20-25.Yikes!Is Europe even worse than CAN with the book $$$?

Leiha said...

Bo, it's outrageous what Bookie paid for 5 or 6 new books, they were regular paperbacks and she spent probably 80 Euro which would be abou $100 US or more!!! Needless to say, I sent Bookie a box of books when I got home, LOL.

L said...

HI, Sara! Borders is my favorite book store, and it seems to have more selection than B&N. We have lots of different chains around here, but Borders has the best member rewards. I get coupons and personal shopping days all the time, so even though I don't get to read often anymore, I still stock up for the future. In fact, we may die of starvation if there's a massive disaster, but we will be entertained in our final moments!

I can't believe the exchange rate for CAN. OMG I couldn't imagine spending so much more money! My sister-in-law lives in London and I about fall over when she tells me how much more things cost over there. They stock up big time every time they're in the states, needless to say.

XOXOXO

Sarah said...

I got a Rachel Gibson I had not read and 2 by Madeline Hunter, the sin series. There were loads of others but the boys had had enough by then.

The exchange rate here always looks terrible to. I spent 60$ last night on the 3, but that is like 40 US at the moment. It all kinda works out. Also managed to get online the new JR Ward and am 1/2 way through a Lora Leigh. Weather is so nasty today that its a good day to catch up on Greys, Betty and read.

Melissa said...

Wow Sarah, your first visit to Borders, that's cool. Is it a new store to your city, or we're you out of town?

I know what you mean about seeing before buying. I'll wait for a new release to get to the store instead of pre-ordering it Amazon or somewhere. Don't know why, I just like to go buy it.

Sarah said...

There were 2 Borders in the country, one in Auckland and one in Christchurch, which are at the opposite ends of the country and nowhere near me. This is the 1st store in Wellington, below is a link to a map. It is just so nice to have a store with romance novels in it that I read!
http://www.nzis.msk.ru/index.htm

Leiha said...

Dang girl, that is pricey! When i go to Australia you'll need to give me your shopping list, there are a lot of UBS around here!