My second celeb sighting...

Did you know I had a few celeb sightings before I moved to Los Angeles? I figured I would share with you my second sighting from way back in 1990. I would tell you about my first one but I don't think many if any of you know Tommy Page but if you do and want to hear about it, it's a fun story.

So back in 1990 I was in the Army in Korea and had recently turned 20. I had lived in Korea for a year and a half by then so I had a great group of friends. Actually my friend Fid who I've posted about before is from this time in my life. We all worked at AFKN which was a military run tv station. Fid was a broadcaster and had done an interview with BB King for the station. Fid, John, Julie (my roommate and closest friend) and I went to go see the show. It was BB King and Ray Charles. I didn't really know either of their music but I did know the song When Love Comes to Town that BB sang with U2. I just thought it would be fun to go.

Well Fid brought fried chicken for BB because he has mentioned missing it. Then Fid and John left us at our seats while they went down to meet BB King. I know, how rude! He thought it would be difficult to get us all in. So the show starts and the boys don't come back. I was irritated over the fact that the boys didn't take us with them so I told Julie we should go get ourselves backstage. So we started wandering the halls. We grabbed a korean who was working there and told him we worked for AFKN and wanted to go backstage AND HE TOOK US! So we're outside the dressing room door giggling like a couple of school girls. I mean, it was so easy. Then someone comes over to see who we are and we explain that we're a couple of soldiers and we just wanted to meet Mr King. He says, let me see what I can do. The next thing we know we hear a big booming voice saying, "sure, send them right in!" Now we really only expected to go in and say hi and get our picture with him. He invites us to sit down and talk to him. Remember, I don't know anything about his music, LOL. I was nudging Julie and telling her to ask him questions because she worked as a dj.

She asked him if this was his favorite thing to do, meaning touring. He said, no this is his favorite thing to do, talk to beautiful women, LOL. The next thing you know he's being called on stage to sing the finale with Ray Charles. We're like crap, we still need to get our picture with him so he waits for us. Well, Julie dropped her camera and the batteries came out and the back opened. It was a 110 cam, ugh! So we nervously put it together and snap a couple of pictures to get past the exposed film and BB just waits for us even though they keep calling him to the stage. He was so awesome! and here is the pic! As for the boys, they were back at the seats waiting for us wondering where we had been. We told them we didn't need them to get us backstage, we did it ourselves, LOL.

BTW, sorry for the horrible outfit. I had to grow into my fabulous sense of style, LOL.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

3 Mannions Speak :

NancyB said...

Who is that short girl with the squinty eyes and big glasses/ I thought you were in the piccture somewhere??? lol That is to funnny - and definaly worth waititing for the post tonight ;) I was thinking though, it was the 80's - we all looked nerdy, so dont worry, you were at he hight of 80's fashon in this picure. It reminds me of Melanie Griffin in that 80's movie (workin girl?) where the boss steals her idea so she steals the bosses man and job.
Lets just hope the 80's are never back in style :)

Aimee Elizabeth said...

Wow, Leiha with bangs LOL! You look so CUTE! heh :)
Way cool to have your pic taken with BB! You are sure going to have tales for the grandkids and/or nieces & nephews someday!

Leiha said...

LOL, too late, the 80s is coming back, now I wish I would have kept some of my outfits, just not this one, *G*. I think the only time I wore this shirt was this event. Yeah, the glasses are horrid too.

WELCOME BACK CHEZ! I missed seeing you here. Next time I may have to send you some leters so you can read one each day of your vacation, I would hate for you to have to go thru another withdrawal, LOL. I'm glad you ate and drank so much. I think I'm going to have to talk you into at least blogging one day so I can hear more details.

Aimee, I used to be famous for my bangs, heaven forbid if someone touched them, LOL.