Oh no he didn't!!!

I live in a condo and my landlord lives in FL which is great if I wanted to throw wild parties and not worry about him getting in my business but not great when I want to get things fixed. He likes to try and have his cousin come around and half the time his cousin ignores his call. So yesterday my toilet breaks. The tank is not filling up and I'm not willing to wait to get it fixed. You all know how much water I drink. So I called roto rooter and since they were here I had them fix the kitchen sink which also started backing up and was disgusting. The price was not pretty but it needed to be done. Here are our emails.

Hey Andrew,
The toilet broke today, the water wasn't coming in so I called roto rooter. He had to replace something, which is good because he was almost going to suggest replacing the whole toilet. My kitchen sink was also plugged so I had him take care of that so the cost was $430. I didn't have him even look at the bathroom sink since that was already so much money, will do that another month. I will send the invoice when I send my deducted rent check at the end of the month.


His response:
Something just does not cost $430.00 dollars. Why would u not have called me on something like that? A brand new toilet is only a $120.00 That's f--cking crazy. I need a breakdown ASAP!

Mine back this morning:
I know you are not yelling at me. I have no clue how much a toilet cost, like I said, I have the invoice to send you. I also have no clue how much a plumber cost! All I know is I had a broken toilet and it needed to be fixed. I would not have called a plumber for the sink which had just gotten bad but since he was there anyway I had him fix it and it was a couple of hundred also (with a 25% deduction). When I moved in you told me if I had problems I should call whoever to get it fixed and take it out of the rent. This is the first time I had called anyone and you and I both know there are things that needed to be fixed that still aren't. If you lived here then I would have called you to come over and fix it but you don't and I'm sorry, I'm not
willing to wait for a toilet to be fixed.

I make do with a shower drain that clogs all the time, a bathrom faucet that leaks on the few times I turn it on, a broken fan in my office. I bought new stove plates when I moved in and most of the rooms didn't have light bulbs! Now you're giving me shit because the toilet was broken and I got it fixed? As it is, it's quite inconvenient for me to not have a landlord around. I had to do the initial layout of that money, do you think that was convenient to me? Did you know that one of the condos was broken into the other day? If we have a problem here then I can start looking for a place ASAP!


I should mention that the woman who lived her prior to me was crazy, lied and said she knew another tenant to move in, didn't pay the rent and moved out in the middle of the night and took the stove plates with her and the tenant prior to that used to make him pay for everything, including re-doing the closets. He wants to get huffy on me? I pay my rent and never bother him! The things I mentioned that were broken have been since I moved in. When I originally moved in he said he would come up one weekend to take care of everything and he never did. It took months before I got all of my electrical sockets to work, he wanted me to mess around with it, as if! I'm thinking about buying a place of my own when my lease is up since the real estate here makes it affordable for me. I have no problem stepping up my timeline. OK, I have a problem in that I'm lazy but other than that, LOL. I feel that people yell at the people they think they can get away with it. My landlord will realize that I am not one of those people. Do you guys think I over reacted to his em? I think he came across as yelling at me. It was sent at 1am. I knew he wasn't going to be happy, he's a tightwad but hey, such is life.

I hope that you all are having a wonderful Easter. I am going to be a total glutton today. The hell you say! Dao and I are going to a brunch buffet. I will have pics and stories later on tonight. If I wasn't so vain I would do a before and after on my belly, LOL. Dao's after will still look better then my before, damn it! Oh well, at least I'll eat good, LOL.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

8 Mannions Speak :

Aimee Elizabeth said...

Chic,
I'm totally with you on the getting the damn toilet fixed. BUT I too think that 430$ for a toilet & sink repair is highway robbery LOL so I'm totally with the landlord too. Chris says they are Union though, and that explains a lot *snort* Even with the sevice call, $50 or so an hour labor, and parts that does sound like an awful high bill.
My reaction may well have been the same as his.
So, considering that, your reaction may have been a bit over the top, he was freaking, and you got a little defensive. Understandable. But, I'm not in your shoes either, if he has been a lousy landlord, then I can see why you would jump his shit LOL
I would not however run out & buy a house just yet, things can REALLY get expensive then!

I hope it works out ok, and I hope the bill has a beneficial typo LOL

Happy Easter to you too chica, I'm off to work!

Rosie said...

I agree with you, chica! You are totally in the write and he's being a jackass. I can't wait to hear what his response is to you. Plumbers, no, lets just say all kinds of repairmen, are expensive. In fact we just had to have the same air/heat people in again to fix what should have been done in December and they wanted paid again. It's all about the almighty dollar.

Enjoy your brunch with Dao. Sounds like a lovely day of gluttony that you so deserve!!

Smooches!!!

Sarah said...

Nah, you can't do without a loo!

Anonymous said...

That bill is excessive, but if they're Union down here...who knows? Knowledge, experience and liscensure (oh, and insurance) count for a lot too. I'd still be pissed, though.

Your landlord should call the plumbing company himself if he has a problem with the bill. Since he told you to call anyone if something needs to be fixed, he's obligated to stand by his agreement with you. If it's not in writing, it could get sticky.
Call us if you need us.

BAM

NancyB said...

I have a pet peve, I dont mind swearing, but dont swear AT me. I can understand his concern over the bill, but he shouldnt be swearing. Do you think since he replied at 1am on a friday night he might have been drinking a little?
I hope this has a happy ending, instead of everyone just being upset and leaving mad.

Joanie said...

He set the aggressive tone initially.

If he said to call someone and have it fixed then he has to suck it up.
I have no idea as to costs, but that is not your problem, if he wanted you to use a specific contractor he should have left all those kind of details in a folder for you.

A toilet is an urgent case and he sounds like he has been taking advantage of you with the other problems.

You did fire up at him, for sure, but it was in response to his aggression. Try to cool things down if you can and make sure you use it as an opportunity to set in place what is to be done in any future situation.
Tell him that having his cousin take care of stuff is not good enough.

Also, if you can afford to buy, then do so, start now and take your time to look around and research, there are all sorts of hidden costs and you gotta have a cash reserve for stuff blocking up and there being no landlord to reimburse you!

Thanks for listening to me last night. That was total head spin time, like an hour later and I am not sure if my sentences where even coherent!

MWAH! J xx

Leiha said...

I just expect a plumber to be expensive which is why I didn't even blink. He mentioned in his email last night he thought we had a deal. I was like what? I send you $900 a month, hello!

Yeah, it was definitely the tone of his email that set me off and you all know, not a lot does but I don't take well to being yelled at or cussed at. I don't do that to other people and I certainly don't expect to be treated like that.

Anytime Joanie!

Nes said...

I told you all about what I thought last night.

He's a jerk and you're in your right.

Buy if you can. It's an investment for sure but better than throwing your money down the drain. Rent money is something you'll just never see again.

Good luck!