The beginnings of Hardass Ha...

I was racking my brain trying to figure out what to blog about when Aimee says she wanted to hear about my Army days, you know when my Mannions ask I deliver. I can always tell stories from the good old days, LOL. Unfortnately, I have pictures in Los Angeles still and I have pics at Nancy's so I don't have many pics to correspond. Turns out most of my Army pictures were taken while I was partying, I don't know how that happened, LOL.

In the Army it's all about push-ups, sit-ups and the 2 mile run. I didn't decide to join the Army til late in my senior year mainly because I wanted out of the house, didn't have any job skills and didn't want to go to college. To prepare I sort of jogged and worked on my push-ups and I'd bike to the store (to buy ice cream, LOL). I didn't even think of working on my sit-ups, I mean, I hadn't done them in ages but girls can do sit-ups no problem. BIG MISTAKE! The first PT (physical training) test I could not do sit-ups for the life of me. I was wiggling all around trying to get my body to move upwards. It wasn't happening. Even with a BIG BLACK MUSCULAR drill sergeant leaning over me YELLING, "you better get up private, you better get up!". Talk about terrifying. I had just turned 18 and here I was being yelled at by this Amazon. Once she realized all of her yelling wasn't going to change the fact I wasn't getting up she moved on. I'm proud to say I did 6 sit ups in 2 minutes, LOL. Of course by the time basic was over I did over 60 in 2 minutes.

When you run in formation they line you up shortest to tallest with the shortest person setting the pace. Guess who that would be? Not only do I hate running but I'm slow, LOL. I found a way to get out of this by being a rear road guard. The road guards would run up to intersections to stop traffice for the formation. As a rear road guard I was behind people. When I went to AIT (advanced individual training) there was even more pressure because guys were running with us so I'm setting the pace for people who are over 6 feet tall! I hated it. I found that if you dropped out of formation as long as you kept running you wouldn't get yelled at. I hated running in formation (and at permanent duty stations they no longer do that) so after a few minutes I would fall out, the problem was, the formation was so long that my friends would keep pulling me back into formation trying to help me when all I wanted to do was get to the end, LOL. It would take me 20 minutes to get to the end of that damn formation!

As for push-ups, who knew, I ended up being great at them. I usually maxed my push-ups during the test. There are minimums that you have to meet for your age and if you do a certain amount you score a hundred. These big arms came in handy for something, LOL.

In AIT we were doing a role playing game and I was playing the First Sergeant. Someone was having some trouble with something and I was having none of it. I wouldn't take any excuses or bend turns out that was not the right course of action so the real commander stepped in but the First SGT then gave me the nickname of Hardass Ha and even though my name is now Mann, I will always be Hardass Ha in my heart and he was a badass. He literally had had his throat slit. He didn't play, LOL.

The first floor of AIT was women and the 2nd and 3rd were men. Of course we were not supposed to go on the others floors. Big no no! Have I been on the 2nd floor? Yes. It was fun leaving, the boys ran down the hallway humming the Mission Impossible theme song while I followed. Was a boy ever in my room, why yes. It was fun being surrounded by so many boys, LOL. I still have a teddy bear that was given to me by a Marine who liked my legs. I don't remember his name but I love Mr Beer Belly (I was 18 when I named him, LOL). I learned a lot about boys back then. We played a lot of cards and I would listen to them talk about other girls and say things like, did you see what she wore? She wore that at the last party. WTF? Needless to say, they never said that about me. One of the biggest things I learned about men was that they gossip worse then girls. I always got my good gossip from them, LOL. Lessons that last a lifetime.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

8 Mannions Speak :

Aimee Elizabeth said...

Damn chic, I was actually sorry to get to the end of that blog post, I would love to hear more, and see the pics. Seriously.

One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't join the service, I'm very patriotic (as you all know by now LOL) and I think I would have thrived. Only thing that stopped me back then was the being screamed at. I had enough of THAT while growing up.

Anyway, awesome post chic, I loved it and I hope you'll do another with pics sometime! MWAH!

Anonymous said...

Great story hon. I love Hardass Ha!

Bo said...

I was giggling at the title of this one,I love it! "Hardass Ha". *snort*

I'm with Aimee,I've thought about it in the past,but didn't think I could handle being yelled at.(however,this does not stop me from LMAO at the DI yelling in Full Metal Jacket,I love that movie)I had a boyfriend who joined a few years after high school and only lasted a few weeks-he got into a fight,actual fistfight,with his DI over the way the his bunk was made.Besides,running is not my thing.Push-ups are not my thing,Not too keen on sit-ups,either,although they are better than the first two :)

It's funny what you say about the men being gossips,that is SO true! They can be much worse than women sometimes.

The best would be to see Hardass Ha delivering her reprimands with the signature big cheesy smile :)

Nes said...

Excellent post, L! Loved it.

Hardass Hahahahahahaha!!! LOL!

Riiight. *snort*

I wanted to join the army too. The only thing that stopped me was that I found out that I wasn't allowed to sleep in. And I do love sleeping in....

Rosie said...

Hey Hardass!! I can honestly say that even if I had wanted to join the army, I would have been like Private Benjamin, totally whining!!! I like to sleep, I hate to run, etc. LOL!!! Yep, I'm a wimp. So I give you so much credit for sticking it out and becoming Hardass Ha. Can't wait to see the pics, hon!!

Hugs and smooches!

Phlexie said...

OMG... I'm LMAO... this does bring back many memories. I sure wish I had ran into you while in the Army, LOL...

Of course, I thrived on challenge, and the only way I'd leave a formation was if I were to pass out and drop down on the ground... But then the guys behind would cross their M16's press them against my back and push me on! Gaaah... I miss PT! LOL... we would've made an interesting team Hardass Ha!

TTYL,

Ranger Chunkette

Leiha said...

I'm glad Aimee, I was worried I was going to bore you. I'll have to have Nancy dig around to find the pics I need to bring you more stories, LOL. You would not have done well with the yelling chick, it's a good thing you didn't enlist, it's not for everyone and it's ok to be self aware enough to know that.

LOL, thank Karen.

Bo, I hated the exercising. I would say you get used to it but that's the reason I got out, LOL. No smiling with Hardass Ha. Then again, my co-worker in LA called me Negotiable Ha, butthead, LOL.

LMAO Nes! You so could have done the military, you get used to waking up at odd hours depending on your job. Of course, now your're way too old, LOL.

I just think I was more moldable at that age, there's no way I would survive now. So at 18 you would have been able to do it Rosie, well, except for the being a wimp part, *G*.

Girl, we were two totally different soldiers but I think we would have still gotten along wonderfully. Of that I have no doubt!

Aimee Elizabeth said...

Hell no I wasn't bored, I can't wait to read more! I totally am psyched to see the pics, so don't blow it off chic LOL!