Brace yourselves...

I cooked last night! I know, don't fall off of your chair Nes! I can't say it's a new trend or anything, I did still have cereal for dinner tonight but I was chatting with Nes last night and she had seafood and suddenly I was craving the shrimp I had in my freezer which I bought when I first moved in, thinking I was going to cook, hah! Almost 2 months later and I cooked, LOL. I do love food so maybe it's not a good thing I cooked. I don't normally have seconds of my cereal! But my shrimp with quail eggs and lima beans was yummie. Speaking of lima beans, I have been enjoying them. Normally peas are my go to veggie but the lima bean has been stepping up! I did buy some seasonings when I first moved in, again, with the intention of cooking and yesterday I finally opened them up.

My go to spices are season all, pepper, fresh garlic an nuoc mam. Nuoc mam is what all Vietnamese people cook with, loosely translated it means fish sauce. I know, sounds gross yet I use it in everything I cook as do all of my Vietnamese brethren. Don't worry, it doesn't taste fishy in the food (it will if you eat it by itself and the smell is strong). My girlfriend Rachael (she does the cooking blog I'm linked to) called me this weekend because she's staying with our mutual friend who moved into my old apartment and she's like he has no food but he does have 2 bottles of nuoc mam, yep, that would be what I left there (it doesn't travel well, LOL). I told him he could throw it away, I guess he wants to keep a remembrance (hmm, smelly fish sauce, he better not use that as his memento of me!). I wonder what I can cook with the grapes and pickles in my fridge? I haven't gotten around to buying condiments. I did buy salad dressing. Have yet to make a salad. Maybe that will be my goal for next week, I like to do things in baby steps!
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

6 Mannions Speak :

Joanie said...

LOL! You are so funny, chicka!

I can't really talk regarding the no cooking as Lily just brought me my lunch.
We use fish sauce in heaps of stuff. I like to add it to most marinades and it's great to add to stirfries too.

I've never had cereal for dinner before. If I'm in a lazy mood, I have vegemite on toast.

You are so funny, love your work! J xx

Anonymous said...

*thumbs up* on the cooking. I love to cook. I think it's one of those things, you do it because you're hungry or because you like to.

I'm half thai so I know about the fish sauce. We call it nahm plah...literal translation is water + fish. Sounds gross I know, but is YUM. I use it in almost everything I cook (instead of salt).

I wish I had taken a page outta your book and not packed mine when I moved to MI. Yes...the bottle leaked all over my favorite Ming blanket. Had to toss it as there's no getting the smell out.

Lima beans huh? I still remember sitting at the kitchen table for hours because I wasn't gonna eat 'em. Blech. *G*

Anonymous said...

Lima beans *shudder*-the bane of my childhood!!! I am cheered by the mention of shrimp & garlic though-YUMMY! I don't cook much,I'm only good at a few certain things & I have to be in the mood,LOL.Richard complains sometimes about how much garlic I put in things,and pepper,as well.I like the coarse ground pepper best.

I think I might have to try some of the recipes on your friend Rachael's blog,though-I clicked on it the other day & that food looks GOOD!!! I also caught part of Rachael Ray's "30 minute meals" yesterday,and,funny enough,she was making some kind of garlic shrimp! *G* I think I'd cook more if I could do things in half an hour like she does,maybe the next book I need is her cookbook,huh? *G*

Bo

Rosie said...

First question, Joanie, what is vegemite?

Second, I'm am blown away that you cooked!! And impressed. I'm not too fond of lima beans - except I do like succotash. Does that count? Guess what, chick, our lunch group is going vietnamese tomorrow. The last time I had that was moons ago when you were here visiting! I can't wait!!!

Aimee Elizabeth said...

Musta been hard to move so far from LindaT huh?
My DH does allll the cooking, or we'd starve, well they would cause I'm happy with a can of corn LOL
Cereal is an AWESOME dinner!
Lima beans are blah LOL

Mwah!

Leiha said...

Joanie, I did have vegimite before, didn't do much for me but then again, I had it prior to my drinking days. I may have to re-visit it, LOL.

Jennie, why didn't you tell me you were a fellow asian! That makes you even cooler, LOL. Yeah, I don't use much salt cause the fish sauce is so salty. I can't believe you packed yours!

I can't believe no one but me likes lima beans! Oh well, more for me, LOL. I am a fan of garlic and pepper too. Rachael is a fab cook! I like to surround myself with people who cook for me:)

Girl, i can't believe it's been that long since you have Vietnamese! That was years ago! Order the bun! Yummie!

Yep, I certainly do miss Linda. She called me the other day to let me know about all of the food she cooked that I can't help her eat:( My bowl of cereal wasn't that yummie that night, LOL.