Last Tango in Portland

Remember the neighborhood market next to Linda T that I had mentioned in a previous post? Well, tonight they started TANGO Lessons! Hello, count me in!!! Unfortunately, Linda was out of town for this, our first session so I went by myself. I knew Jennifer, the owner or the store but no one else and even though I was tired from my trip to WA I sucked it up and went. I knew I would have a great time and I did.

There were 13 or 14 of us and two teachers who were really passionate about the Tango. It's always fun to have a teacher who really loves what they're doing. This is a once a week six week session. Because I'll be out of town for 2 of those Sundays the teacher has said he'll train with me to catch me up and then at the end of our 6 weeks he fully plans on us showing off our skills with other students of tango. It's very exciting. Gives us something to strive for.

You all know how competitive I am so I fully plan on jumping into this with both feet which is good because we have homework! We were given music to learn and yoga poses to work on (to strengthen our core). The hard part for me is learning not to lead. Before you laugh, a lot of the other girls had the same problem. It's hard for me to give up control, I can't help it.

We're learning the Argentinian Tango which is very different from ballroom tango (I took 1 class a long time ago). In this one we lean in at the chest. The female instructor had to lean in a lot less then I did, LOL. I had to lean very forward to get my chest to touch my partners. The the entire dance is controlled by our chests, forget being lead by his hand on your back, that is just for show, you are lead by your chest and when you're my height sometimes they're leading you with their stomach, LOL.

I've been told that in 5 more classes I will be a tango star. I can't wait. Now I need to work on getting those long legs that you always see Tango dancers with.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

1 Mannions Speak :

Leiha said...

OK, I have 2 more classes to get better! By then I should be able to let you lead because although I always want to lead, it doesn't mean I know where to lead to!

Don't worry, Nancy knows her place, EG!