Real Women Have Curves

We've all seen Dove's commercials, billboards and ads and I have to say, I love this advertising campaign, the Campaign for Real Beauty. Oprah recently did a story about some of the women that Dove has featured. With so many ads, magazines and tv shows showing us what women should look like, Dove shows the world what women do look like and they're beautiful. I love this because these women are real women, they're not models or actresses. Dove actively seeks out women who are not in the business.

During the Oscars they aired a commercial for their new product line called Dove cream oil and they're doing casting call for it on their website. You send in your picture and you write in why you should be in a Dove ad. Of course I applied because I know I would be perfect for it and I'm sharing it with you all because you would also be perfect for this! We are perfect in our inperfections. We're real women! I would love for all of you to apply. Let's embrace who we are and share it with the world. Of course, most of their ads are either naked or in undies but what's a little nudity between friends, a few million of them, LOL.

Since Linda asked, here is the picture I sent in for my application. I figured I should give a true representation of my body so I didn't do my favorite, the self portrait, LOL. And hell yes, I'm sucking in my tummy, just because I'm comfortable wearing a two piece doesn't mean I want a picture with it ALL hanging out. I just want the boobies to stick out, LOL.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

20 Mannions Speak :

Rosie said...

I love the new age of women. We do have curves and we should embrace ourselves. Good for you for applying. I think I'll pass, cuz it's not a pretty sight me in undies, no matter how pretty they are.

Good luck chica. Gosh, can you imagine Leiha on billboards in your city? *G*

Smooches!!

Aimee Elizabeth said...

I love this new-age of advertising also, it totally pisses me off to see my 15 year old child upset because she isn't a size 3!

Pisses me off when I'M pissed off for not being a size 3 LOL!

Like Ro, I think I'll pass, 2 kids later, I resemble a LA road map with no clothes on... Heh!

I totally think YOU would ROCK as a Dove model, way to go chica, I so hope they pick you!
Tons of smooches!

sparkle said...

Leiha, go for it! But where's the picture you sent in??? It's nice to see curves! Good for Dove! I hope a lot of other product companies realize that they need to embrace real women! No matter what the size!

Anonymous said...

Good luck Leiha. Tim and I happened to see the ad when it ran, and we both liked it. I also like that Jamie Lee Curtis did something like this a little while ago. She had her pic taken, no makeup, just her bra and undies. She wanted to show people how real women looked without the photogs' help.

I tell my daughter frequently that it is more important that she be healthy and active than thin. Of course, she is thin like I was when I was younger, but she is also incredibly strong! All that taekwondo and horse back riding, I guess!

Melissa said...

When they get to the Real Women Have Curves...and Flab, Cellulite and Stretch Marks...Campaign, then maybe I'll send mine in. Or not. Gross.

That's cool you sent your pic in. I hope they pick you, it'll be great to see you on tv!

How are you loving this warm weather?!
Hang on to your hat, though. Georgia in the Spring can be quite a ride at times.

Leiha said...

I CAN imagine me on billboards all over the country, LOL. There are probably a gazillion entries but you can't win if you don't play:)

Luckily, your daughter has a kick ass mom for a roll model! We all want to be a size 3 but I think the key is being ok with yourself if you are not.

I think the campaign has been great for Dove and I agree, more companies should be following suit. Let's put the skinny models out of business, LOL.

Karen, I remember when JLC did that spread and I thought it was fantastic. Even supermodels get airbrushed and they have stylists, good lighting and make up artists!

I definitely think most kids today are too inactive. Good for you for having your daughter involved in activities. My sister has packed up a lot of my nephews videogames. He's a slug!

LMAO Missi! I am determined to go out and walk today, it's glorious! I need to work on my tan!

Nes said...

LOL@Aims!

BTW, I took that pic!!! So think of me when you win! Good luck chick! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I love, love this ad from Dove. Seen it more than a few times and the first time I saw it, I was like Hell Yeah! Although I'd love to be thin though...

Thing is, it's not about the size really, it's about being healthy. Eating healthy, and taking care of your body by working out. That's the whole secret. Some of us are blessed with gorgeous perfect bodies, some aren't.

Now for me, all I want are my love handles gone and a bit of an ass... other than that, I'm perfectly satisfied with my curves. LOL.

Again, good luck L! And remember, the photographer deserves a prize too! *grins*

Leiha said...

It's not about the photographer, it's the model and my ability to crop pics to where they're framed correctly, LOL!

I agree, it's definitely about lifestyle and healthiness. When I was going to the gym 5 days a week I still wasn't a size 3 but I knew I was healthy and in shape for my body.

Unfortunately, it takes a long time for us as women to accep our bodies, that's why having mom's like Karen and Aimee are so important. I was a size 7 in hs and my mom had me on a diet.

L said...

Leiha, you are just gorgeous! I hope you win, chick.

It's ridiculous that so many people think that skinny=beauty. While it's important to be healthy and take care of ourselves, that is so far off the mark. It's ridiculous that the only side we see of models is after they've been airbrushed to perfection, or have spent the entire day in a salon before a night on the red carpet.

Snaps to JLC for showing us what she looks like without makeup, and MAJOR SNAPS to Dove for this campaign!

Good luck, girl!

XOXOXO

Leiha said...

Libby, if you know of any hot single cops send them my way, lol!

Anonymous said...

You look awesome in a bikini girl! Day-am! I bet ya big bucks you're going to be in a Dove commercial. We're all going to be pointing at your mostly-nekkid body on a billboard screaming "That's my friend Leiha"!

I'll pass on entering too. God knew what he was doing when he DIDN'T give me a kickin' bod. Hahahahaha! I seem to have slut-fashion tendencies.
;o)
Good luck and you know we're all rooting for you.

BAM

Kristi said...

OH MY.. That's JUST what Leiha needs.. Her very own S.W.A.T. man like Libmeister.. I'm laughing just thinking about it. I bet he'd sure like your toy stash, girlfriend! Congrats on the submission to Dove (I LOVE that campaign but I ain't haulin' my bod out for the world to see *cringe*) LMAO.. xoxo, K

Leiha said...

BAM, to be on a billboard I'm ok with going all the way naked, LOL. Keep in mind I'm sucking it in here, don't worry, this summer you'll see it all hanging out, LOL.

Girl, there's nothing wrong with having slut fashion tendencies. I always said if I had a a better body I would walk naked through the frozen food aisle. It's a good thing I'm not a size 2 for all involved, LOL.

Kristi, I am all about a man bringing his own handcuffs, LOL! Having good aim is also excellent.

Dang, I can't believe none of you all are going to enter!!!

Leiha said...

LMAO Lina! You know I'm all for you riding my coattails and I agree, there are nowhere near enough pictures of me! I hope Dove reads my blog, LOL.

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how nice it was for me to pop in here and read this post. Thank you.

Leiha said...

Awwwww you're welcome. I hope that you come back.

J said...

Ahem, at the risk of upsetting a few folks. I agree with Nes.

I am a size 4 US and it is not about being slim or not, it is about being healthy and active.

So please don't lump all the slim folks into one basket, I eat plenty and I know I model good eating and lifestyle habits for J.

If you exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet then

WHERE U ARE IS WHERE U SHOULD BE

and it can't be measured against anyone else.

That is where I feel the problem has been in advertising, making people feel inadequate for not being what they are not. Rather than giving examples of all shapes of peoples who are HEALTHY.

So good on Dove, and good on you Leiha, I really hope you win a spot.

J xx

Leiha said...

J, it doesn't upset anyone that you're a size 4, looking at you, that's your build and you excercise and eat right so you're healthy. Our beef is with advertisers, magazines and what we see on the tv. It's the attitude that you have to be a size 4 to be pretty. It's about instilling self confidence no matter what your size. Like I said, my parents didn't help. Having parents who instill that confidence makes a world of difference. I had to find my confidence and embrace myself as an adult. We all have body issues, no matter what your size, but the key is knowing your beauty and your worth even if you're not the size you want to be.

J said...

L, I knew it wouldn't upset anyone at all, no one gives a rats ass, they all love me for me and that's why I love them.

You have no idea how much I admire you attitude and confident body image. Even more so now I know that you had to work for it due to a lack of parental support.

I envy it actually. I am rooted in the head about mine.

Of course, y'all know that too, and still talk to me, so I love y'all for that too!

I really am aware everyday about how important that J knows he is accepted and loved for just being him. Whatever 'him' he is.
J xx

Leiha said...

That's the cool thing about the relationships formed via the net thru message boards and blogs. It isn't about looks. Not when it comes to girls anyway, EG! Now if I'm going to talk to a guy I want him to be hot, LOL.

J is lucky to have you for a mom!