A feel of Savannah...

I was a little sad that I was going to Savannah in the winter versus the spring when everything ws in bloom and all of the trees lush and green. There was no need for me to worry. The trees that I visualize populating the city were green and all over.


We took a trolley tour since we were only in town for a few days. The driver said that it wasn't spanish moss on the trees but a form of pineapple but turns out it is spanish moss and also a form of pineapple. It looks lovely hanging from the trees and it's not a parastie but finds its nourishment by wafting through the trees.

Apparently Henry Ford used to have a car plant there and decided way back when to stuff his car seats with spanish moss since it was free. Not a good idea. Apparently the moss is loaded with chiggers (similar to fleas or ticks), OUCH! Oh, the things you learn on a trolley tour, LOL.

I didn't take a lot of pics of the houses but here are a couple I snapped.
The bottom we toured. I can't remember the name of it right now, LOL. What amazes me about these houses are how large they are on the outside but so small on the inside. This house had 4 rooms downstairs and 4 room upstairs. Barb pointed out how thick the walls were which I think is makes the inside feel so much smaller.

The people here were also incredibly nice and friendly. Unlike NOLA I didn't get nervous walking off of the beaten path. Also, some other things I learned. Scottish Highlanders were used to defend Savannah and they say that the St Patrick's Day parade in Savannah is the second largest in the country. Who knew? The trolley tour guides knew, that's who!
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

11 Mannions Speak :

Chez said...

Ooooh it looks sooooo pretty. I must say that I have always wanted to go to New Orleans and Savannah. It must have been all those bodice rippers where the poor English lass is taken (by pirate ship) to the colonies and usually to New Orleans or Savannah. I loved those books. Totally un-PC, but wonderfully so. Lucky you to go there, it sounds fantastic.

Joanie said...

It looks wonderful, I have always wanted to go there. Lucky girl!

J xx

Nes said...

Hey, L, how far away is Savannah from Georgia? I love those Southern states. Like Chez said; bodice rippers. LOL. Not only that, it's rich with history too, even though it's New World history. :P

I love the first pic of the house with the columns. Could you just picture yourself as a Southern Belle wearing a beautiful gown and peticoat? *sigh*

Glad you had fun.

Leiha said...

LOL those books were sooo un PC but they were fun!

joanie, you'll have to go sometime. I have yet to hear of anyone who has visited there who has been disappointed.

LOL, Savannah is in Georgia. It's about 3/12 to 4 hours away from where I live and right near South Carolina, apparently Charleston is not too far away from there. Barb wants to go there next time to look at the colonial houses. I wish I took more pics of the houses they had some fabulous ones all over the place!

Nes, if you and I lived back then we would either be in the back ironing or be dock whores, LOL.

Nes said...

Oh duh! I meant Atlanta. Heh. I have fast fingers. *winks*

LOL, yeah, prolly... but I'd be a high class whore. Like Mary Jo Putney's China Bride. You know how much I hate ironing. LOL.

Leiha said...

LOL, that is true! OK, courtesans it is!

Rosie said...

Wow, those houses are very cool. Did they have other tours to be taken or did you get any info? I really, really want to go there sometime soon. Charleston sounds fun too! I'd have never made it back in those days. Way too mouthy for my own good. LOL. Hugs!!

NancyB said...

You MUST have been wowed by the trees, I have never known you to take a picture unless you were in it. :) God I love the south... the food, culture, arcitecture, the polite men... LOVE IT!

If we planned a trip to Charleston we would have a free place to stay... My family is about a half hour drive from there, and there is always the beach house which is about 20 minutes from there. I just need advanced warning to book the beach house... that tickles my fancy as I have always wanted to do Charleston as a tourist :)

Aimee Elizabeth said...

I have been to GA a ciouple times and I never get tired of looking at the houses. I was in Valdosta, and was shocked to see my house plants growing in peoples yards.

The road-kill armadillo's were a shock too LOL

We definately need a BTS gathering there!

Brenda said...

You should visit the old cemetary next time, the one that had the original statue from the cover of the book 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil'. There's an interesting story on how the cemetary came to be, but I don't know if it's true.
I want to go back and eat at Paula's. I hear her sons are pretty good eye-candy. LOL!

Leiha said...

Dang, I thought I responded yesterday, wonder what I did, LOL.

Ro, I don't think any of us would have done too well back then. They have tons of trolley tours and lots of ghost tours which I know you would love. They say there's a lot of ghost activities there. I didn't see any orbs though, LOL.

Nancy, turns out you don't know me as much as you thought! I love how trees give me a feel for where I am, evergreens in WA, banyons in Hawaii, palm trees in Cali, joshua trees in the dessert and the live oaks and magnolias in Savannah.

Get working on that beach house! We could make that homebase while we go to Charleston and Savannah!

So far no road kill armadillos for me, thank goodness, LOL! I do love the houses here, much older and more character then the west coast.

BAM, they said the statue that was used for the cover of that book is now inside a museum. I'm ready to go back to Paula's too. We may have to do a quickie trip one of these days, LOL.