Is it a bad thing...

when there are pieces left over? First off, the bookshelves came with extra nuts and bolts or whatever they were, that is not my fault. I just chose to not use all of the nails I was supposed to use, so those nails leftover are by choice because really, why do I need to hammer in 24 little nails to hold up the back of my bookshelf when a fraction of that will do? I got tired of hammering. It's not like the 24 nails were support, the back is more decorative then anything. As for the 8 screws that go to my end tables, I honestly tried to screw them in. I started putting this end table together on Sunday. It was a bitch but all I had left to do was screw in the screws that attatch the top of the table to the legs. The problem is, apparently my screwdriver did not make the cut and did not move with me and my swiss army knife was too wide to fit the hole so I borrowed a screwdriver from Dao and tried today to screw in the screws. Let me say, it wasn't working. I kept turning and turning and I felt no grab so I said screw it (or not, LOL). There are a couple of pegs that the top sits on, it's not going anywhere, just don't pick up the end table by the top, LOL, Unfortunately, I bought 2 end tables, you know, one for each end of the couch. So far I haven't gotten past taking it out of the box. I remember what a pain the first one was to put together and have been procrastinating. While procrastinating I put together some metal drawers from IKEA, screwed in a rack in my closet and my bathroom and ate dinner. I really wish I had a tv right now so I could work on my table while watching tv but since I don't, I'm going to go lay down and read instead. What's another day?

BTW, my living room is coming together fabulously! My bookshelves have not a lot of books but lots and lots of picture frames, LOL. Tomorrow's task, other then putting together that freaking end table will be to hang up my pictures. It's almost done, yayyyyy!
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

4 Mannions Speak :

Anonymous said...

Leiha, I'm glad it's all coming together and I have to say, Ikea stuff is a nightmare. I think it's the stupid heiroglyphic instructions.

After a few battles with it now I just pay extra and the Ikea delivery boys assemble it for me.

I couldn't believe how fast these guys are, I rang Ikea with a query and was put on hold.
As I watched, the guy assembled two bookcases in FOUR MINUTES!

Guess what? I was still on hold when he finished! They have a cordless, power-screwdriver. Invest in one, save your cutlery!

Post a pic of your finished shelves, so we (your tens of devoted fans) can toast your success!

Joanie xx

NancyB said...

Leiha - if you can live with only one side table I can put it together for you when I come visit (whenever that may be EG) You know I love to put them together because they are like giant puzles. Oh and I know it sounds dumb but the back on a bookshelf really does help it stay togther. It stabalizes the structure so it doesnt start to lean to the side - I am sure you wont have that problem because nomater what you say I know your good at puting bookshelves together -- you just hate it.

Anonymous said...

I know they put extra screws in the package in case one gets lost, etc., but does it ever bug me. I always think I've missed a step or the thing is gonna fall apart.

I'm totally with Ann. Get thyself next door! And I must say, Ann, I'm impressed with the rewiring. That is one thing I am scared of doing. I can do most anything, but electrical stuff, no way.

Glad it's coming together Leiha!

Leiha said...

LOL, we make do with what we have. Of course, now I have a seriousely dented pan (my hammer for a day) but oh well, it was late and I didn't want to go out to buy a hammer. If anything falls apart though I will go ask for help.

Joanie, I hate IKEA assembly also but I hate paying the money to have someone else do it more, LOL. These bookshelves were wal mart and turns out, putting their crap together is worse then IKEA! Oh well, live and learn, LOL.

Ann, once I get to know the boys a little better I promise to utilize them for all of my needs, EG!

Nancy, you know I have no patience. I will be assembling the table just so I can set my pretty new lamp on it, LOL. But thank you for the offer. I know the back of the bookshelf helps stabilize it but it doesn't need 24 nails.

There is no way I would even think to attempt wiring Karen, LOL. I know you and Tim have re-done your whole house, I do not envy you!