I am the funniest person I know...

OK, not really but I am pretty dang funny, just ask Nes' hubby Jan Kees. He says I should be a stand up comedian. Unfortunately, he would be the only one paying to see me and since I know him I would comp him anyways so I guess I better keep my day job. I bring this up because I have to say, I was on a roll today when I was on the phone with the comcast guy trying to get my stuff set up. I had this guy laughing his ass off the whole conversation, I felt like I should have have a drummer there for my punchlines. I decided to get the cable/internet/phone bundle since I will need a fax line and I am working from home. Then he proceeds to tell me that there would be a $25 installation charge FOR EACH SERVICE!!!! That's when I had my big laugh. I was like, is he going to come by 3 different times? Last time I installed my own internet. He said, well it's good you have some skills, I told him the option I was going to do was order basic for $15 and install internet that day myself (if you order internet after you order cable it's cheaper, go figure). So then of course he was willing to reduce my installation fee from $75 to $30. Then he tells me I have to wait until the 18th to get it installed. Can you hear my gasp from there? Unfortunately I have no choice in that other then to call back and look for a cancellation but I have a plan, I cannot be offline for that long. Hello, I'm the person who would check in from gas stations! I'm going to get friendly with my neighbors and pay them $20 so I can tap into their internet. I have talked to two of them already so I'll go to them first, LOL. Wish me luck. Otherwise I'll be spending a lot of time at the library and my work hours would suffer. I'm not a 9 to 5 girl, I'm a 9 to 9 girl with lots of breaks in between. Having to go somewhere to work would seriousely interfere with my breaks and force me to concentrate for longer periods of time. I do not like that option, LOL.

These are the last of my scanned pictures for now. It's more action Barbie! Two of the biggest events I covered while in the Army were the relief efforts in Somalia and the restoration after Hurricane Andrew. This is a pic of me as I'm driving up to where we're staying in Somalia. As you can see, I lost my desert cover for my helmet, LOL. We were sitting on top of all of our camera equipment. I think I was a little shell shocked after having been driven through the city. The best thing about being there was I was with guys I had known for awhile. We all were stationed in Korea together and eventually we ended up in MD together and then we deployed together. I was very comfortable with these guys and since there were only 4 of us and I was the only girl that was a good thing.Boredom was one of the biggest factors while we were there. We played a lot of cards and since we were who we were we even had some movies on Hi-8 to watch. We were supposed to only be there for a month, of course it ended up being two. The army issues undies to men but not to women and we usually washed out own clothes. They had a laundry service but they didn't use detergent so I had a line in my room where I hung my undies versus outside. All of the guys had their military issued boxers, I had stripes and hearts and polka dots, LOL. So if you ever deploy, buy some white undies!

Deploying to FL wasn't quite so traumatic but it was still an experience. Lots of places didn't have water, we weren't allowed to drink the water and just the damage that you saw. Evergreen trees with no branches and forget palm trees standing up. Gen Colin Powell came down to visit the tent cities and talk to the people. He is someone who just emanates power. When he showed up the civilian press didn't even know who he was, they just taped him cause we were. What I liked about him is when he went in to talk to people he didn't want the press there. He wasn't doing photo ops. He truly cared. It's hard to see me because Gadson is so tall standing next to me and I blend but here we are walking along taping him. Gadson said that Gen Powell reached out to shake my hand but I didn't take it. I was mortified. I was so focused on taping him. I would have loved to have shaken his hand.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

2 Mannions Speak :

NancyB said...

Gasp, forget about you not having internet, what about the rest of us who wont get our daily blog update? Tell the cable company to think about the little people for gooness sake!
You know I hear so many fun stories from whe you were in the Army it is easy to forget you had to work while you were there. And if someone was going to lose thier hat cover I would have thought it would be me and not you :)
Hope the weekend and move (all 2 caroads of it) goes well.

4 more days till your birthday....

Leiha said...

Dao totally wouldn't mind my using her place for work but she lives about 20 minutes away and you know one of the perks of the job is very little commuting, LOL. Luckily I don't have to do it but that would probably have been what I would have done.

LOL, I try not to ruin my image with too much talk about work Nancy. BTW, thanks for reminding everyone about my birthday, you are a great BF! Maybe one day you can achieve BFF status, a girl can dream.