Ever hear of a Kentucky hot brown?

Neither have I! That is, until I watched Throwdown with Bobby Flay tonight on te Food Network. I don't know if it is a good idea for me to have the food network, LOL. A hot brown is an open faced turkey sandwich with a cheese sauce, tomatoes and bacon on top. You had me at cheese sauce. I can't believe I've never heard of this sandwich and more importantly, I can't believe I've never had one! Flay says it's one of the most popular things he sells at his NYC restaurant so while it's a Kentucky staple it can be found elsewhere and I'm determined to find one. Maybe after I move away from Daytona, LOL.

This weekend I had lunch with roofer author Gennita Low, otherwise known as Jenny from the block. Lina was not happy to hear that we had lunch at a Chinese buffet, LOL. I have to say though, while I didn't eat fabulously, compared to how I normally eat at buffets, I was a saint! Those of you who read her blog know about the famous, or rather, infamous ranger buddy. I asked her what he was doing since he's laid up for awhile and not able to roof. Turns out he's spending all of his time working out at the gym and then she points to me and says, he knows you. I was like, huh? Guess which gym he works out at? She told him to keep an eye out for us and he said he knew exactly who we were and once I pieced it together I remembered seeing a guy in a full leg brace working out at the gym! Now I have to figure out how to introduce myself to the guy who bikers give a wide birth to, LOL. I saw him today while I was working out on the bike but I didn't say anything. Don't worry, I shall, one of these days.

After lunch I went to check out Jenny's work. The houses that they roof are gorgeous. She tried to recruit me into helping her work but I pointed out that I'm decorative, not functional. I had on my cute new shorts. I bought them months ago but hadn't worn them yet. I did finally crumble and offer to help but then she sent me on my way. Whew! I got out of there quickly! But I have a whole new appreciation for kickass roofer author Gennita Low.

Coming tomorrow, a giveaway brought to you by our very own BAM aka Brenda. Yes, I'm mean, I'm going to make you wait a day, LOL.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

7 Mannions Speak :

Sarah said...

Coolness, you get to meet the famous RB!! You lucky duck!

Chez said...

Whoa now we can get RB stories from two completely different sources.

BTW that sandwich sounds yum

Rosie said...

Yep, you had me at the cheese sauce too. Now I have to go check Food Network's website and track down the recipe. Definitely sounds yummy!

Cool beans to have had lunch with Gennita. And good for you not totally blowing it at the buffet. So, big question . . . how was the food? Did it meet Leiha standards???

Hugs,
Ro

Bo said...

LOL,I've seen that ep a while back,it must have been a re-run.*G*
I watched Food Network constantly over the summer while I was pregnant,now I am horribly addicted to it! I would love to have one of those sandwiches,minus the tomato.My Mom has taken to watching Paula Deen's show sometimes when she's babysitting,I had to rub it in to her that my friend has been to her Lady & Sons restuarant,LOL.

Leiha said...

We looked for RB today but didn't see him. You know I'll be sharing my impressions with you, LOL.

Doesn't it sound delish? I can't wait to try it!

Rosie, on Bobbie Flay's version he made it with french toast! How decadent is that? Of course it made me crave french toast also, LOL.

The buffet was good, not great. I don't have high expectations for chinese buffets but considering the price I was impressed by the amount of choices. I can't remember, did I mail you my address?

The food networks shows re-runs! The hell you say, LOL. I'm not a big tomato person myself but covered in cheese and throw it in the oven and it makes me think of pizza, that I can handle, LOL. Bo, you need to visit one day just for Paula's fried chicken. I would drive 4 hours for it, it's that good.

Rachael Narins said...

From my mother: Billy's Tap Room and Grill has good reviews. Takeya Japanese Steak House also has good recommendations.

Anonymous said...

Wandered in here via a Google search for the hot brown recipe. In case you haven't found it yet, here's Bobby's recipe from the Food Network:


http://preview.tinyurl.com/yo8a96

I wouldn't bother cooking the turkey just for this, but that's me.