Fruits and nuts...

I love them both (look at my friends, LOL). Actually, what I'm totally enamored of is fruit and nut trees. While driving north we passed so many orchards and I swear, everytime I'm staring (when I'm not driving) just trying to figure out what kind of trees they are. Only one orchard actually had a sign saying what it was, mandarins, how exciting! They were actually loaded down with fruit. So many of the trees were bare, something I'm going to have to get used to in the winter time now.

I love the concept of picking fresh fruit straight from the trees. My friend Javier's old place used to have an orange tree in the yard and the couple of times I visited I would use the orange picker and bring me a bagful home. I have vague memories from my childhood of picking cherries from trees. How fun is that?!?! We also used to go out into these heavily wooded areas when we lived in MI and gather up walnuts while they were still green and then box them up and when they were ready we would open the box and just crack walnuts on the sidewalk and chow down!

Even after 8 years I never got blase about fruit trees. Whenever I got a chance I would pick a lemon off or a lime. I've never been to a nut farm (is that what they're called, LOL) but I think that would be fun too. One of these days I'm going to take my nephew to an orchard so he can have the memory of picking fruit and eating it straight off of the limb.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

3 Mannions Speak :

Anonymous said...

One of my fondest childhood memories is sitting in my Aunt Jessies bing cherry tree and eating handfulls of sun warmed cherrys. To bad I didnt believe my grandma whe she told me I would have a somach ache if I kept eating. Lets just say I spent some quality time in the bathroom that night.
You know Oregon is famous for it's nuts, not the pepople, but I think hazlenuts. There my dads favorite so you and Jordan can pick them and send them on up because I like the eating better than the pickin:)

NancyB said...

:)

Leiha said...

LOL, those are some great memories Ann! Now I want to go dig some peanuts up too, I love them raw. We also used to go pull green onions, I didn't snack on those:)