Let there be cake!

So last night was my last kickboxing class. I can't believe it. Something that has been so prevalent in my life for the past 2 years is over, at least, in this incarnation. Not only do I love kickboxing, I love the people who I take the class with and I love my teacher. It definitely is a family and since most of us were transplants, it's nice to have family close. We have a bond. We're like a gang, it's funny, before class on Wednesdays, when we're waiting to get into the room all of us will be hanging out downstairs gearing up and stretching and we definitely stick out from the rest of the gym. But it was fun, I loved the fact that we stuck out together. Everyone knew why we were there, we were kickboxers!

I definitely credit Joe with everything. He is an awesome teacher and he let each of us be ourselves. We learn a lot but class is not rigid. There's a lot of laughter involved. OK, so I loved Joe because he let me run my mouth during class but I was also a very avid student and would listen and learn from everything he had to say. He's an extremely knowledgeable man (at least about kickboxing).

Of course, Joe is not letting me off that easy. Just because I'm moving doesn't mean I'm not going to be a part of his class. He actually ordered a bag for me to practice on and he's going to tape classes and send them to me so I don't fall behind. The hardest thing about that is they won't get to hear my comments when I particpate in the taped classes, LOL. I have also decided since I will be practicing at home (until I find a job and a gym or school) that I will also work on teaching Jordan kickboxing. I don't want him hitting like a girl!

Joe actually had a cake specially made for my last class last night. It was beautiful. I took a pic but I packed my camera cable and have no idea where it is. He had white chocolate tubes going around the cake to signify bamboo, for strength and he had a fresh gerber daisy (I love gerbers) on top to represent growth. I loved it and it tasted delicious too!

Afterwards, Julie, Brian L., Brian D, Steph and I went out for one last drink. I'm going to miss so much about the classes, the self confidence it gave me, the discipline, the skills (OK, not getting up at 7am for class on Sat, won't miss that) but mostly I'm going to miss the people.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

1 Mannions Speak :

Anonymous said...

Oh honey, I know you are going to miss Joe and your classmates. I feel for you! But you being you, you will find another gym soon. And of course, they probably will come see you soon. Have a great move, and please drive carefully!