Nancy's picks and pans...

Your guest blogger is sorry she forgot to blog on Sunday... I would like to say it was because I was out doing fabulous things, but really I went shopping and cleaned. You are probably all lucky I didn't blog because you might have heard rants about shopping and cleaning!

Tonight's blog is about what I have been doing lately... Seeing movies! I have seen more movies in the last six months than I have in the last six years! I thought I would share a few of my favorites with you.

Last Saturday we finally made it to American Gangster. I wanted to like it but I didn't expect to, I was figuring lots of gratuitous gangster violence. I am happy to report it was a really good movie. Leiha thought it was a little long and slow, but I thought it took the time to tell the whole story and make you care about the characters. I give this one a thumbs up!Another movie I really want to share with you is Lars and the Real Girl. I asked to see this one because I thought it was going to be a slapstick juvenile humor movie. Really, how else would you expect a movie about a guy who orders a lifelike sex doll to pass off as his girlfriend to go? Instead I found myself drawn into a movie about a guy who is surrounded by a family, co-workers and a town that care about him so much they integrate the new "girlfriend" into their world. Of course this leads to healing, and eventually Lars learning to find a real girl. It is heartwarming and sweet, I guess it is a chick flick - but I think the guys liked it also.The next movie I expected to be not great, and, well, it didn't disappoint. I suffered through Bee Movie a few weekends ago. I think it was trying to appeal to a wide audience and missed them all. I say skip this one.
One good thing did come from Bee Movie... I saw a preview for the new movie Spiderwick. It is based on a set of children's books (also called Spiderwick) about a family with three children who move to an old home that was owned by their Aunt Lucinda. The curious children discover a hidden library... and then discover a world of fantasy living around them. Brownies, bogarts, elves, sprites, a griffin, and many fantastical animals. As you can guess the creatures are not all happy to be found out and the movie looks to be an action packed ride... I am so excited I went right out and bought all 5 books. They are quick reads, about an hour each, and they make me more and more excited for the move. So you have heard my picks and pans... what have you been watching?
Share on Google Plus

About NancyB

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

2 Mannions Speak :

Brenda said...

I haven't been to a movie in a long time, but I think Enchanted should be cute. It's a Disney movie about a cartoon princess that ends up in the real world of New York. I'm going to take my daughter to see it as long as I don't have to get near any shopping malls. I love Christmas but I can't do the crowds.

Sarah said...

Cool, I have read the entire Spiderwick series to my kids and they LOVED it. Cool books!