Meeting my almost namesake...

My friend Heather, another girl I met online thru RBL emailed me not too long ago to let me know she was going to be in town on vacation with her daughter. This was their first vacation since she adopted her little girl from China a couple of years ago and I hadn't seen Heather since before that time. We were all very excited for Heather when she got her little girl and it was even more exciting for me when I found out her name was Leila! My almost namesake! OK, we pronounce our names different too but that doesn't matter LOL.

Needless to say, being a mother has taken over her life and Heather and I hadn't talked in years but you know what? It doesn't matter. That's the great thing about these relationships I've formed over the years with my online friends. With online not only does distance not matter but neither does time. I couldn't wait to see Heather and meet Leila. We made plans to meet for lunch. Heather was staying with an old friend and their family at a beach house 15 minutes away so it was totally convenient. I drove down and met her friends and then Leila, Heather and I went off to lunch. Leila is a littly shy at first but that doesn't stop her from talking and from asking all kinds of questions. Why this? Why that? It was funny and it was wonderful to watch Heather and her together. Both the center of each others world. We just live in it, LOL.

The place we went to wasn't that great but on the plus side it was right on the water. There we were talking when Heather yells she sees dolphins. We rush down to the dock to try and get pics. There were two of them but they were never jumping when we had the camera ready. I need to work with them on timing, LOL. They did stay in the area awhile so that was fun.
My favorite Leila story was when we were leaving the house to go to lunch I mentioned the fact that Leila must have gotten hold of the scissors which reminded me of when Kimberly did that (I should dig up one of those pics, EG). So we were talking about that and then moved on. 20 minutes later while we were at lunch talking about something totally different Leila leans into her mother and says don't talk about her hair. Apparently, she likes to process things before she comments sometimes, LOL. Lunch was wonderful and we had no trouble talking about any and everything. Afterwards I wanted to go back on the dock and get my pic with my almost namesake. She's not the ham I am but we're working on it. We did do a couple of self portraits together, with her wanting a re-do cause her Mickey wasn't in the pic (a girl who knows what she wants, I can relate, LOL) but I used this pic because let's face it, my boobs look great and I wasn't even trying Who needs to try? LOL! Here's mother and child. Aren't they cute?

After lunch Heather wanted me to come in and look at a video of Leila. Yes, the dreaded family videos. What, I'm in the video? Not so dreaded. What, it's a video of Leila watching me sing the Rose enraptured? Thrilling yet horrifying, LOL. I like to put stuff out there for you to see but I don't necessarily want to see or in this case hear it myself. Apparently Heather was reading my blog and played the video and Leila loved it and would have her play it over and over again and just watch it. Yes, my fan list is growing leaps and bounds. I think that makes one person a fan of my singing, LOL. Of course you know what this means don't you? That's right, I need a new song and video for my new fan! Heather is going to try and compress the vid of Leila watching me so we can share the magic that is me thru her with you, LOL. The funny thing is I don't think Leila put together the fact that that vid was me since it was done so long ago and the house we were at didn't have internet connection to say, look, that's me, LOL.

They are leaving tomorrow (Sunday) but luckily I was able to meet with them again today. Yes, I was able to squeeze them in between naps, it was difficult and I did ask for an hour and a half to get ready so I could lay in bed for an extra half hour, LOL. Since Leila had eaten Heather and I went off to lunch by ourselves (which Heather heard about when she got back *G*). We went to a place called Boondocks where the food was a little better. My one disappointment were the oysters. They were totally bland and had no flavor but the crab and shrimp stuffed portobello and the cheesy garlic bread made up for it, LOL. To get seated right away we sat in the sun which didn't seem like a big deal til the sun came out, LOL. Plus I think we were there for awhile, I wasn't paying attn to the time because we were so busy just chatting. We swung back by the house to grab Leila and go to the beach. Well the sun that was in abundance at lunch was long gone by the time we got to the beach. The house they were staying at is a block away from the beach and the beach was gorgeous. Too bad our towels got soaked on the sand and it was windy and cloudy so we didn't stay too long which is a good thing because turns out I got sunburned at lunch but didn't realize til after my nap, LOL. Course we couldn't leave the beach without taking some pics. I took a bunch of Heather and Leila. She didn't want to get in the water so she would keep running back to the towel and then coming back, it was too cute. I couldn't decide which one pic to post so you get several:)

Of course I had to take a self portrait on the beach. It was after all my first trip to the beach since I moved here, yes, I'm a slacker but we already knew that, LOL. If you look on my shoulder you can see the beginnings of a nice shiny new sunburn, LOL. Like I said, good thing the weather got crappy on us because I sprayed suntan oil all over me once we got to the beach. Would not have been pretty to say the least!

I feel bad for Leila because now she has had a taste of vacation life and she's already not looking forward to going home. She went to Disneyworld. Her new friends turned her onto gum which she had never had before and she went to the beach everyday. Leila loves vacations and so do her mommy and I, LOL. Hopefully they'll be making many more trips to FL in the future.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

8 Mannions Speak :

Lin said...

Sounds like you all had a fun time and Leila looks beautiful, OK you both do *rolls eyes* LOL Well unless you spend less time napping and more time apply sun lotion before you go out, you will just end up beautifully red! Says she who has been lazing around all morning and is about to go for a nap before goes out to lunch! LOL Although the sun is shining we had snow over night so no need for sun lotion here *sighs*

I phoned a friend last week that hadn't called in about a year! but we just pick up where we left off last time, so we had a quick catch up and ended with I'm to call her and set up a time when I will go over for dinner, its only about 45mins away so no big deal to drive there and back. Well that's how we left it a year ago and I only just got back to her! LOL I really must stop letting life get in the way of the fun things!

Su-hura (Toast on the Side) said...

I absolutely love the pictures! I'm so glad that Heather and Leila are doing well!! Leila has grown so much!! They look really happy together!! :)

Aimee Elizabeth said...

Now those are some fabulous pictures!!
I remember when Heather was waiting and waiting, and I remember when Leila finally, at long last arrived, I remember getting all teary at the pics.
They look absolutely happy together, and it's so awesome to see them together! I'm so glad you got to meet Leila and spend some time with Heather!
You're totally right, about internet friends. Time and distance really don't matter.
(((HUGZ))) from cleeeeear across the country LOL!

And Yah, you look hot as usual, but use some sunscreen chic, it's not sexy when someone touches you and you scream from pain LOL

Nes said...

"it's not sexy when someone touches you and you scream from pain LOL"

Depends, Aims.... some ppl get a kick out of that kind of shit. LOL.

Like you, I remembered when the whole adoption thing started and when Heather finally became a mom. I got emotional too. LOL.

It´s great to see them so happy together and thanks L, for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Great pics! Leila is too cute. I'm glad you guys had a chance to see each other.

Leiha said...

Lin, I have some guy friends who I'm like that with. Actually I just called someone who I hadn't talked to since I left LA and it was like we saw each other last week which is nice.

Su, they are so adorable together! Definitely each others world as you can see.

Yeah, it's definitely not the good kind of pain LOL. Heather rarely gets pics of them together so I was happy to take some for them. I only took 2 of myself, LOL.

Nes, I knew you would enjoy seeing them together. Yeah, I think we all went thru that journey with Heather.

Isn't she a doll? It'll be fun to watch her grow up and hopefully I'll get to see you again in the future chick. I think your family needs a trip to FL, LOL.

Anonymous said...

How great to get to catch up with Heather and get to meet Leila--your almost namesake! Heather looks fabulous and how adorable is Leila?! What a sweetheart--and hey, your piccy looks great, too, natch! Glad you had a wonderful time. ttys!

Leiha said...

Hey Christy! I haven't talked to you in forever! I hope all is well with you. I heard it snowed today! That's just crazy!