Me versus the watermelon...

and the watermelon won! Actually, I would call it a draw. I wanted to go to the Flea market/farmer's market on Sunday and Gennita couldn't go cause she got roped into something or another so Lina went with me. She had never been to one. But first we went to lunch at this middle eastern cafe we had been meaning to try since we moved here. I have to say, I wasn't blown away. I thought the meat on my gyro was overcooked and the gyro itself was dry. I also ordered a spinach turnover but I didn't like it. Lina loved her cheese pita but didn't like her stuffed eggplant but we would go back in a heartbeat for their desserts alone. Lina twisted my arm into trying some things off of the menu. She originally suggested we order 1 of everything but we ONLY ordered 3 things, LOL. A lady finger, a pistachio baklava (I've only ever had walnut) and one other dessert that I can't remember the name of but it was my favorite. Lots of honey, shredded pastry dough and pistachios. TASTY! I was craving this dessert last night.

After we were satiated on our desserts we headed to the market where they had everything. I talked to a guy about piercing my belly again but he says it still doesn't look healed which is a bummer. I wanted it pierced before the cruise. I also told Lina I wanted a white leather belt cause I loved the one Dani wore on Tila Tequila and next thing you know there's a display of belts. I was so excited at the $5 price tag I didn't haggle. I mean, it would have been at least $10 at Ross! So there I was basking in my glow of a well bought belt when I see the same belt somewhere else for $3! Took the bloom off of that rose really quickly, LOL.

I didn't buy anything else on the flea market end of things, I wanted to get some shirts for my nephew but I saw them cheaper by me so we wandered to the farmers market side of things. I wanted fresh fruits but there's not a lot of choice this time of year. I got some ruby red grapefruits and I bought some garlic pickles, LOL. Nancy can tell you, I do love pickles. Speaking of which, I just read a story the other day, there is a guy who sells pickle pops. It's frozen pickle juice that people eat like popsicles! So don't be so quick to dump your pickle juice, freeze it up and feed the kids, lol.

Lina bought Xmen 2 and 3. She wanted a veg night in. So she said let's buy a watermelon cut it in half and just grab a spoon and eat. Now I love me some watermelon but I've never done this. You know I was game. Once we settled in for the night she cut it in half and off we went. A few bites in and Lina was taking a break. I lasted a few more bites. She said she would go back and finish, she did not. Wuss! I of course, wasn't giving up. I ate as much as was edible. For some reason there were pink parts that were too hard so I didn't get it all but I can say I did you all proud.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

8 Mannions Speak :

Anonymous said...

Oh yum. Middle Eastern desserts are the best. I've only had pistachio bachlava, isn't that funny? I didn't even know it could be made with walnuts.

My MIL brought over 1/2 a watermelon last night. A little mealy, but otherwise OK.

Yeah, spring has finally sprung here!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention, I'm glad Lina is feeling better.

Aimee Elizabeth said...

The watermelon won!? I can't believe Lina let a watermelon win LOL I'm so glad she's feeling better, and up to even taking on a watermelon!

The baklava sounds heavenly, I love that stuff a LOT, but like Karen, I've only had the pistachio kind. Totally not a grapefruit fan, but score on the belt! Even if you did pay $2 too much ;-P

Pickle popcycles? *shudders* My DH & you would hit it off, he stands in front of the fridge and gulps down the juice out of the pickle jar. The juice never lasts as long as the pickles LOL

It is still so freaking far from Spring here, it's killing me!

Lina just got the X-Men movies? I'm shocked!

sparkle said...

Leiha, I actually thought of you with the Pickle Pop story! I think you should make them. Also, for your next Peep adventure, instead of eating them, go to marthastewart.com and find the candy store owner who made a table decoration out of PEEPS last week! Glad that Lina is feeling better!

Bo said...

Sounds like the wife is feeling better,that's wonderful to hear!

Garlic pickles,yum! I esp. like the tiny bite sized ones,so much flavor & crunch!

I am hoping to go to the flea market in Vegas here in a couple weeks,I saw a lot of stuff I really liked last year during the RBL sleepover.

I've only ever had the walnut baklava,I could gorge on that until I got sick.There is a great little place here called Basila's that makes awesome baklava,gyros,just really good Greek & Med. style food.

I've parked myself on the chair with a watermelon before,but I have to have the salt shaker,too.High blood pressure,pffft! *G*

Of course Lina filled herself up on Wolverine eye-candy,that's why she didn't finish the melon,LOL!

Su-hura (Toast on the Side) said...

Mmmmmm... Watermelon and pickles!!

Aimee Elizabeth said...

Oh Jeeze, I didn't even think of the 2 together, blech! LOL

Leiha said...

Funny, I always had walnut but I love pistachio so I was stoked about it. Yeah, I bought a watermelon a couple of weeks ago and had to throw the entire thing out so I was nervous but the one we got at the farmers market was wonderful.

Lina eats like a bird, especially since she got sick. Her small appetite got smaller. I never get sick so I can't lose weight that way, LOL. Don't remind me about the belt, LOL. I'll have to wear it soon and get my $5 worth. I don't drink pickle juice but my brothers do. She didn't bring movies down with her. She may have them at home.

Hey Linda! I haven't seen you around here in awhile. I missed you. Girl, I can't not eat peeps, you know it's a love hate thing LOL.

I love baby dills too Bo! Yum! I devoured my pickles. If a watermelon needs some help I'll bring out the watermelon but this one didn't need it. Have fun in Vegas chick and I want to hear all about it when you come back!

Yeah Su, I eat like a pregnant woman. Now I need to add ice cream and potato chips into the mix, LOL.

LMAO Aimee! Makes my mouth water.