BBQing in the Netherlands

LOL, I know, instead of a travel blog this is more like a food blog but I'm eating in another country if that counts! Nes decided she wanted to host a BBQ and who am I to say no? You all know there's not much I like more then a good BBQ! Apparently in the Netherlands it's all about meat, wait, isn't that the case in the states too? She actually bought more meat then we cooked but we already had so much that it was unnecessary to bring out the chicken. We had burgers which Nes mixed in a bunch of stuff and it was more like eating mini-meatloaf but better tasting. I also don't know if I mentioned it but the Dutch love their chicken satay (skewered chicken) and most especially their peanut sauce! Nes' friend Rob is famous for his so he brought the peanut sauce. I had met him the night before and he said my life will be changed. I had my life before his sauce and my life after. He had a hot version and a mild, I had to go back and forth cause the hot was hot but not so hot that you couldn't enjoy the taste but it still got to be a bit much and yes, the sauce was delicious. We also had store bought potato salad and my contribution, a cucumber salad which I must say, was the hit of the party. I got requests for the recipe and Rob and his wife are having a BBQ on Friday (what I like to call my going away party, what? It's not about me?) and they requested I bring some. What a compliment! It's a simple recipe, duh, I made it. I actually got the recipe from Nancy's dad and here it is:

Cucumber Salad

Rinse, Peel if necessary, and thinly slice 1 English cucumber.

In a bowl mix a cucumber with 1 teaspoon of salt, let stand for 45 minutes. Rinse and drain; squeeze excess liquid from the cucumber and returned to the rinsed bowl

Add
2 tablespoons white vinegar

1 tablespoon of sesame oil

1 tablespoons of sugar

salt & pepper to taste

1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seed for garnish

I like to toss in red onion and sometimes I'll add some cilantro. A great summer salad perfect forBBQs. Actually I made it for Thanksgiving too because it is light enough to balance the heaviness of everything else.

OK, back to the BBQ. Rob is also a fan of karaoke and really what is a party at Nes' house without karaoke? Did I mention we also went a little crazy with the drinks? We made sangria de cava and margaritas. We forgot to pull out the jello shots we had made, LOL. We ended the evening watching LOTR: the extended edition. I didn't last long, it had been a long day of eating. I may have to buy another seat for the flight home, LOL.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

9 Mannions Speak :

Leiha said...

I forgot to mention the snolly bollies (sp?). That would be champagne mixed with vodka. It was delish! Rene recommends a sweet italian champagne to mix it with. I recomend drinking this. Too bad I was drinking my rita when he mixed it so I didn't see the portions. I guess I can do trial and error, slurp!

NancyB said...

Well that settles it, Rene will have to mix you some more champagine and vodka so you can get the protions. I am all about the champagine now. I am so glad you went on this trip so you could get all these yummy drink recipies. Oh and dad has asked me to tell you like 5 times that he also has the recipie for the orange and onion salid and it would go with the spanish part of your trip.

Leiha said...

LMAO, your dad is too kind to me but I really think I will pass on the orange an onion salad, he knows how much I love fruit in my salad....not!

Hopefully Rene will be at the BBQ on Fri so I will definitely be getting the skinny on my new favorite drink (until the next one comes along).

Anonymous said...

Leiha;
see if you can get the peanut sauce recipe. I willtrade a Nouc Mam recipe.
Larry

Leiha said...

For you, I will Larry! Glad to see you at my blog, LOL!

Rosie said...

Okay, let's see, I need to write down the cuke recipe, then I need the champagne drink measurements, oh, and the peanut sauce recipe, if you can. Mmm, I'm so hungry. This has been fun living vicariously through your blog. Have a safe trip to Atlanta, sweetie. Hugs!

Leiha said...

I am definitely going to try and get that champagne recipe, it was delish! I am also going to try and get the peanut sauce one this Friday. Don't worry Christy, I have been very nice to the kitties, no kicking them, well, at least while Nes is around, LOL.

Thanks Rosie! Definitely try the cucumber recipe and let me know what the boys think.

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»