Banana Crumb Muffins

I go thru phases with my baking. I will bake something new every day and then I won't bake for a month, wow, sounds like me and books, LOL. 

Nancy's parents dropped off some bananas for us and they were starting to turn brown. I like my bananas with a touch of green so once they get to the brown part that means one thing, Banana Crumb Muffins! It makes Nancy very happy. This is my go to recipe when I have bananas I want to use up, it's easy and it's delicious. 

I tried to round the corners on this pic but gave up, it took too much time. If someone has a fast way to round corners on photos please share. I tried to find the option on instagram but couldn't. 

Nancy brought me a salted hot chocolate from Starbucks which was a wonderful accompaniment to the muffins. I've thought about trying to make it without the crumb topping but Kim and Nancy insist the topping makes it. To make it extra crumbly I scoop up the sugar topping that falls onto the muffin pan after I've cooked it and add it to the top also. 

I found this recipe on allrecipes.com, one of my favorite recipe sites because they usually have photos and lots of reviews. Here is a link to the original recipe, the recipe and my edits to the recipe.

Banana Crumb Muffins (<---this is a link if you're name is Nancy)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted

For Topping
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.

In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

My Notes: I add 1 tablespoon imitation vanilla to the banana mixture and chopped pecans. 1/2 cup to a cup works. I also don't add the topping until the muffin cooks for 13 minutes because I don't want them to soak into the muffin, I want the topping crunchy. Then I cook for 5 more minutes. FYI, the crumb topping makes double what you need.

I bought my muffin papers from Ikea, super cheap and cute!

Enjoy!

PS: If you plan on making this recipe, please pin it. Pinterest is a bloggers best friend.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Mannions Speak :