My trip via food...

As my sister Kim has correctly pointed out, my memories all revolve around food. I find as I get older I don't remember as much as I used to but I do remember a lot of the meals I've eaten, LOL. So that is how I will recap the rest of my LA adventure because my two goals were to see as many friends as I could and to eat at all of my favorite places or if I can, get my friends to cook for me, LOL.


I drove to Santa Monica to visit with my friend Carmen who I hadn't talked to in a long time, we struck up a friendship at our gym It was like we talked yesterday. We went to the seafood market for fresh fish for dinner and she shucked a dozen oysters for me. I love raw oysters! What a treat to have them while not at a restaurant, I have to have them at home more often!
Yes, we were also drinking mimosas while sitting around the kitchen catching up. She made a white fish and scallops to go with a simple salad. She's Italian and she whips up the most delicious simple salads.


Bernadette is a former co-worker of mine so I've known her almost since I moved to LA. I was even in her wedding and caught the bouquet. That pic that I used of someone taking off the garter with their tongue is from that wedding, LOL. She now is the mom of two young beautiful kids. She used to always share her Filipino food with me so I wanted some good home cooking. Unfortunately when I got there she hadn't started cooking yet and I didn't have a lot of patience, I was hungry so I ate leftovers her mom brought over. Hey, I love leftovers! And even better while the kids laid down for a nap, so did I.

I wanted to eat at my favorite Korean place which just happens to be a buffet also. What could be better? Why going with Rachael and Bernadette could make it better! Bernadette hadn't been there since I left and Rachael had never been and they both loved it, yay! You know I loved it but I did practice some restraint and not eat myself to pain although I could have easily done that, LOL.

Stephanie and I went to the Tofu house after going to kickboxing class. I laughed at her suggestion that we go but got talked into it. The good news is I didn't have to be carried out, LOL. Joe says he took it easy on me. I don't believe him. Mmm I love hot tofu soup. I got the seafood tofu soup.

Steph and I also went to Absolutely Pho-bulous a couple of days later which used to be a favorite after kickboxing spot. We were both disappointed in our meal. I tried the seafood version since there are so many pho places here I wanted something different. I should not have walked off of the beaten path. Steph said her egg roll was cold. Party foul! Good thing I introduced Steph to the gloriousness that is Yogurtland before we went there, yes, dessert first, we didn't want it to close on us.


Rachael went with me to Lala's, which was an Argentinean restaurant down the street from where I used on live. I love their chimichurri sauce. I think Rach may have gotten one piece of bread, I had already used the rest to sop up the sauce and wipe it all over my body. I ordered the garlic skirt steak thinking that's what I always ordered but I was wrong. I should have ordered the mushroom skirt steak! It was still good but not the same even tho I ordered a side of mushrooms. D'oh! Got too excited there. The mushroom version has a cream sauce while the garlic had a red wine one. Was so full on the bread I had to take half of my food home, that and the portions are healthy, LOL.
My friend Julie, another kickboxing bud lives in San Fran now but we knew each other in LA. She was down for her engagement party with her LA friends so I stopped by there and her friend's mom made the most divine cake! The piping was like a taffy, you could just chew on it, it was so good. Here is Julie and her fiance Adam.
And this is Dave who showed up at the party with his future ex girlfriend Karla. He says it's my fault because I liked her, LOL. Dave and I go way back. I'm sure I've mentioned him on here before.


I stopped by Rossi and Michelle's house and she made a home made chili. We sat around eating comfort food and catching up. I knew them both before they got married, we had all worked at the museum together and I used to be Rossi's boss. I was the best boss he ever had, LOL. He was actually in class most of the night so Michelle had a lot of girl time together which was fun and we watched the first ep of Survivor together LOL.

I know there were other meals while I was there but this was a quick overview of my trip, overall wonderful food and even better friends!
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

9 Mannions Speak :

Lin said...

Well you certainly managed to pack a lot of people into your food schedule, and for some reason you wiping chimichurri sauce all over your body in a restaurant didn't cause me to stop reading and say WTH at all! LOL

Su-hura (Toast on the Side) said...

I'm drooling! Sounds like the most awesomest foodie trip ever!! I'm proud of you for going to kickboxing too!!

Leiha said...

I do what I can, LOL. Come on, it's me here. You can easily picture me writhing around in chimichurri sauce, LMAO.

I so didn't want to go but was happy that I did. I need to find something that inspires me like that again. I forgot to mention Pinks! We went there and I got the ozzie dog again, spicy dog with american cheese, nacho cheese, grilled onions and guacamole! Then we went to yogurtland to sooth my tummy, LOL.

Lin said...

I can also imagine you covering some hunky boytoy with it so you could have your sauce and eat it! *G*

Brenda said...

The food looks mouth-watering!
What's Pho?

Brenda said...

I looked up pho and realized it's bun's sister.
I loved the bun you introduced me to.

;o)

Leiha said...

Brenda, didn't I take you and Brian to have Pho once? There's no way I didn't have you try it.

Brenda said...

No, we didn't have Pho, we had bun and it was just you and I. (I need to try Pho).
That's also the day I learned that you like kidney beans on your ice-cream. EEEEEEEEK!

Leiha said...

LOL, I like red beans as a sweet dish! Hmmm, I can't believe I never took you to pho, that is a crime. I'm going to talk to Dao and have her and you try and co-ordinate the next time she goes to Atlanta, LOL.