Sharon's Sensational Salsa

Sharon made her salsa for us on a girls weekend, it was so amazing I actually craved it and began cooking Mexican food just so I could make this. Once I moved back to WA I started making it for family gatherings and this summer I was making it every week for my sister, it's that good!

When a recipe calls for salsa I have to make salsa, I can't use the jarred version, it's just not good enough anymore. Not when you're used to having a salsa that's so fresh tasting it's like you're eating out of a garden. 


Since this is me, I've altered the recipe slightly. I prefer a more cilantro taste to my salsa versus a tomato taste. I usually buy my cans of tomato and Rotel at Cash and Carry, you can get cans twice the size of the ones you buy at a regular store for the same price, if you do that, just double the other ingredients. 

2 cans Rotel cilantro and lime (Cash & Carry doesn't carry this flavor so I use whatever they have in stock)

1 can of tomatoes drained
1 bunch of cilantro
1/2 bunch of green onions
1 to 2 cloves of garlic
1/2 lime
salt
pepper

Blend all of the ingredients except salt, pepper and lime juice in a food processor. I've tried blender but prefer the consistency of a food processor. If you use the large cans you will need to process in 2 batches and mix together. Pour into a bowl, squeeze 1/2 lime into the salsa and salt and pepper to taste. Easy and delicious! I usually put it in a couple of jars to store and give away. Kat walked away with a large pickle jar full today and I gave Adam a salsa jar full to take home. 

This is the best picture I could get of my salsa since Adam kept eating it while I was trying to get a photo. 

BTW, Lina turned me onto making home made chips. I actually prefer these over store bought tortilla chips. I had tortillas on hand so I pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees, sprayed a cookie sheet with a cooking spray, cut the tortillas into wedges (Lina made these cute little bowls for a salad) and cook for 5 minutes and then pull them out, turn them over and cook 4 to 5 minutes. My sister says she prefers them crispier so I cook for 5 minutes on each side. You can play around with seasoning these if you want or salting them but since these are for the salsa I kept them plain. These are baked versus fried, light and crispy. 

I'd love to hear if you try either of these recipes or if you have a salsa or tortilla chip recipe you want to share, please do!
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Mannions Speak :