the rest of my time with the girls...

Sorry, there aren't many pics, I don't like to take pics when I'm stuffing myself, I'm too busy eating, LOL. Plus, I was cooking this weekend (and by that I mean I did a lot of chopping, LOL) so that took up my time when I wasn't eating or talking, LOL.

Linda and Sandra are the early birds. They were up long before the rest of us. Aimee and I lounged in bed chatting before we finally decided to get up both days. It was our time LOL. Nancy had to work that day. We had thought about going up to visit her at the bookstore and lounge around and harass her but really, we ran out of time, you know how it is. We had Ronwyn, Maggie and Debbie coming over at 3 so by the time we would have been able to go to the store it would have been cutting it too close.

We were doing mexican for dinner so I wanted to set the flavors on the black bean salsa as well as the guac so that meant an early trip to the store (an early for me LOL). Here is the recipe I found online for the salsa but I changed it up some:

INGREDIENTS
1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
(I used fresh corn that I cut off the cob and lightly sauteed)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers
(I used fresh serranos, this was during the jalapeno ban)
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
(again, fresh)
1 cup Italian-style salad dressing
(used some lime and salt and pepper instead)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
(didn't use)


DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, combine black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, onion, green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers and tomatoes. Season with Italian-style salad dressing and garlic salt; mix well. Cover, and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.

I also added some cilantro chopped up. As you can see, you can adjust this recipe quite easily to your own taste and Nancy loved it!


We sat around chatting all day, surprise, surprise, LOL. Ronlyn brought her 2 adorable little kiddies. Her youngest totally ran to me when I put my arms out and once I picked him up, he promptly burst into tears, LOL. It may have had something to do with the fact everyone was staring at him. I didn't take it personally, I know I'm fab and kids love me dang it! Jordan took her oldest, who was 4 under his wing which was great, the kiddies played while the adults (hah) talked.

For dinner we did a taco bar with all kinds of dips and meat. Aimee chopped up a rotisserie and I browned ground beef and Nancy's parents had donated pulled pork. It was a feast. I used all 3 meats in my burrito, LOL. I couldn't choose, it would have been like Sophie's choice! I should have put the guac and bean salsa out sooner for dip, we had a ton left over, LOL.

Kimberly stopped by to eat and then promptly took a nap on my bed, what can I say, she's related to me. Ronlyn took the kiddies home once they got fussy. They were fab as was she. Linda was great about making sure we got a group pic. It's hard to get a group pic with everyone looking good so I'm posting the one I look best in, are you surprised?L-R is Sandra, Debbie, Maggie, Ronlyn, Nancy, Aimee, Linda and moi!

Nancy had a game she's been dying to try. I think it was a playstation game but I don't know. They all blend to me. It was a jeopardy like game with buzzers so 4 people could play at a time. Christopher came over during this time since Jordan was here. The first round was Jordan, me, Nancy and Linda. The rounds are different. Some things have speed elements, some don't. They have a round where you can steal money and another round where you can throw pie at someone. They were ganging up stealing my money, the punks. Of course, they wanted my money because I was in the lead, LOL. The pie throwing round was fun because people would sometimes end up pieing themselves. The final round is incredibly stressful but I won, as it should be.

I sat out the second game so Kim could play. Instead I helped Jordan. He did much better that game *G*. The final round is all speed and by the time I told Jordan the answer it would be too late. It ended up being between Kim and Nancy. Christopher was playing that round also and he didn't make it far on the final round either. Nancy beat Kim but the funny part is Nancy remembers it as Kim beating her since Kim was in the lead most of it, LOL.

Final round was Nancy, Kim, me and Christopher. I called it battle of the titans. They ALL took my money so I was going into the final round not in the lead. That's ok, I'm good, LOL. It ended up being Kim and I and it was going back and forth the whole time with big sis coming out victorious. Did you doubt it?

I suggested dvd trivia pursuit so more people could play but Sandra and Aimee were off reading or sleeping. Jordan and Christian both called my team. Who can blame them? I said sure, so it was us against Kim, Nancy and Linda. We had a slow start while the other gals were off to a quick one. They got 2 pie right away. They were high fiving each other, blah blah blah. I told the boys not to worry, it's a long game. We kept our cool. I loved how into it Jordan and Christopher were. They had a blast playing and were helpful on several questions. It was really a team effort and with our team, we kicked their asses!

This is the point where Kim and Nancy usually reminisce about the one time they beat me in spades, LOL. Nope, we're not competitive at all.

Sunday was Nancy's day off we put her to work cooking. Since we had so many fresh blueberries she wanted to do a brunch. Her parents came over and since it was raining they brought a canopy to put up on the porch. Jordan helped Larry put it together. And here is Nancy and her mom making pancakes and french toast.
The pancakes were divine. She also made sausage topped donuts (I threw some bacon on some also) so everyone could feel the voodoo donut love. Her parents also brought a fresh fruit salad. Arturo, Christopher and Sara came by for brunch and Maggie and Debbie came. My dad and Kathy came by later. With the canopy out on the porch it never got too cramped. People were rotating around. It was a fabulous brunch with Nancy doing a wonderful job.

Linda and Sandra headed out in the early afternoon for Portland and Nancy and I being the fabulous hostesses we are took a nap before taking Aimee to the airport. I felt bad, I planned on napping for an hour but it was more like two hours. Thank goodness there were books around Aimee wanted to read.

All in all, while a quick visit it was fabulous. It's great re-connecting with my west coast peeps!
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

3 Mannions Speak :

Lin said...

Sounds like you all had great fun as well as fab food!

Doesn't sound like anyone is competitive at all! LOL

Su-hura (Toast on the Side) said...

Wow! Buffets two days in a row!! I hate you all!! :)

As for trivial pursuit, all I know is that Steve Jobs wears black turtlenecks and jeans. At least I think it was Steve Jobs...

Anonymous said...

Hey theere, Chick. Love seeing you all back together again! I have not seen Sandra, Mags & Linda forever so it is wonderful to pop in here and see old friends.

But I gotta tell ya, you're killing me with the food descriptions, just killing me as I'm dying to jump in an chow down! Those doughnuts sound fabulous and don't get me going on the french toast & the tacos. Mmmmm!

Miss everybody!