Home-Made Salted Caramels

I found this recipe on Pinterest, my favorite place to find new recipes. Photos definitely help inspire me. Pinterest is a wonderful tool for bloggers so don't forget to pin any photos on here of recipes that you like. :)

I wanted to make this for Thanksgiving but football was on and I still thought I had a shot of winning at that time so I had my nephew make this Thanksgiving morning with Nancy supervising while I supervised them from the couch. This recipe is so simple and easy Jordan had it memorized by the second batch.

Salted Caramels
Will make more candy then it looks like. 
Ingredients:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
Coarse sea salt or kosher salt

Combine the butter, sugars, corn syrup and condensed milk in a large microwave-safe container. Microwave for 4-6 minutes on HIGH, stirring every two minutes.

Carefully remove the caramel from the microwave (it WILL be hot), stir in the vanilla, then pour the mixture into a greased 8x8" baking dish.

Let cool slightly (about 5 minutes), then sprinkle lightly with salt.

Let cool at room temperature, then cut into squares. Store an air-tight container, individually wrapped in wax paper.

When we first made this we didn't wrap the second batch since we were on our way out the door. By the end of the night, after sitting out all day it was very hard, I had to throw it in the microwave to soften it. I would recommend wrapping as soon as it's cooled. The first time we cooked this the wrapped caramel stayed soft all day. I made this batch last night and they are hard again but still delicious. We can't figure out the difference between the batches. If you can keep them soft, let me know. My next plan is to dip these in chocolate. I wanted to do it last night but turns out I didn't have any chocolate on hand.  Eat and enjoy!


The blog I found this recipe has wonderful photos of the cooking process and I love their name: I Believe I Can Fry


Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Mannions Speak :