Angela's Awesome Enchiladas

Unlike Sharon's Sensational Salsa, I have no idea who Angela is but this is a recipe I found on Allrecipes and it lives up to it's name, Angela's Enchiladas are Awesome! I don't know why I made this the first time. I'm not a big enchilada eater myself. I think I was looking for something I could make for my family and this was it. Everyone loved it, well, everyone but Nancy, doesn't mean she didn't eat it. She just thought it was ok, it has since grown on her. She has even made it herself a time or two. You can find the original recipe here. As always, I make changes based on my preferences.

Angela's Awesome Enchiladas

Ingredients
1 rotisserie chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tablespoon of butter
1 small onion chopped
1 (4 oz) can green chilies drained
1 package mild or spicy taco seasoning mix (I prefer spicy)
1 bunch green onions chopped and halved
1 cup of water
1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
1 package of flour tortillas

Directions
Shred the chicken into pieces by hand. It will usually be hot so I will use a fork at first then use my hand to make it smaller. Do not use the skin.

Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the shredded chicken, chopped green chilies, taco seasoning, half of the bunch of chopped green onion, and water. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, onion powder, and garlic powder; simmer for an additional 10 minutes. I usually don't measure out the onion or garlic powder.

Meanwhile, combine the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and chili powder in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, then turn off the heat and cover to keep warm. Make sure you stir constantly or this will bubble up and start popping everywhere.

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Stir 1 cup of the soup mixture into the skillet with the chicken mixture. Spread the remaining soup mixture on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Sprinkle cheddar cheese at the bottom center of your tortilla then fill each tortilla with the chicken mixture.  Fold tortillas over the filling and place seam-side down in the prepared pan.

Pour enchilada sauce evenly over the enchiladas. Cover with the remaining  cheddar cheese. Bake in the preheated oven until filling is heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle the reserved chopped green onions.

There is normally chicken filling left over which I use to make the most awesome chicken nachos! Sometimes I will just make the chicken part of this dish to use for nachos or tacos. Definitely a winner in my book. It was the first thing my family had me cook when I moved back home. Once you try it, you'll understand why.


Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Mannions Speak :