Girlfriends and good food!

Didn't have any plans for Friday morning but that changed once we woke up. I really wanted a pedicure and Nancy and Julie were down for one. Sharon just got one so she dropped us off at the nail salon and went wandering at the University District. Having my feet worked on first thing in the morning is how I should start every day, LOL. We would have been done a lot sooner but Julie had drama with her flower. I never get designs on my toes. I always say it's for kids. Of course, Julie  gets a design. The first girl to do her flower was not very good so Julie had to get re-flowered. It was funny. 

When we were done Sharon met up with us and thanks for a suggestion from Adam, we went to a new to me asian market in the International District, Lam's Seafood to grab some Vietnamese food to take to the park with us for lunch. If we had more time we would have spent more time in the market looking at the fun foods that they had. They have a big hot food section with food that's pretty cheap. Seattle has a great International District with cheap authentic food. A Vietnamese sub (banh mi) can be purchased for under $3, if it's more then that, you're getting ripped off. 

We happily grabbed our haul and headed out. Sharon purchased some chicken wings that we gobbled up in the car. We were hungry and they were delicious! We went to Volunteer Park which is an oasis in the city. It was a gorgeous day in the neighborhood. A perfect day for a picnic and to take pictures! 
Our food was great. We all ordered what we wanted and then we shared, a great way to try a lot of different foods. 
 After lunch we wandered around the park. Nancy and Sharon went up the water tower, way too many steps for me so Julie and I walked in a circle around the water tower. I love this pic of me because it's a very flattering pic. The magic of a good camera angle.
 They had these beautiful trees with low hanging branches that kids were draped all over. I can imagine just lying on a branch and day dreaming.
I think Nancy is trying to really ride the camel.
 The Space Needle behind us. 
 The girls being goofy.

After the park we headed back to the house to meet up with Lina who left work early to join us. She actually made it there before us, the house has a code instead of keys so it was perfect, she let herself in and we were shortly behind her. 

After we showered and got ready we were off! First stop, Elliott's Oyster House. They have a progressive happy hour, at 3pm their oysters are a dollar each for an hour then the price goes up. Luckily we got there in time to order 4 dz oysters before the price went up. There were only 3 of us eating them but Nancy, Sharon and I enjoyed every bite. 


After oysters we headed over to Dahlia Lounge where we were going to meet Ronlyn. We left early enough to stop at Dahlia Bakery which is next door. I insisted that everyone had to try their triple coconut cream pie (you can read about my first experience trying this pie here). I didn't take a picture since I was too busy eating but I found this one online. 
This coconut pie is so famous, Tom Douglas serves it in all of his restaurants. I think it's $7 or $8 a slice and $35 for a whole pie. If you want to treat yourself, you should try it. I found a recipe online if you'd like to make it yourself. One day I'll get ambitious enough to make it. Even people who don't like coconut enjoy this pie. I'm just saying. After we were done enjoying the decadence that is the Dahlia Bakery we went to the bar at Dahlia Lounge to wait for Ronlyn. 

She showed up with 3 bags of books for everyone, she knows the way to our hearts, LOL. Our smart waitress put us in the back away from everyone. Due to the fact we weren't very hungry we only ordered apps. They were delicious. 
Shrimp-scallion potstickers, grilled bread salad, sweet pea risotto,  black cod and cheese plates (because there can never be enough cheese!). I'd never had bread salad before and I was leery when we ordered it but I have to say, it was my favorite dish. I love food that surprises you. 

We put a lot of effort into planning our days but not much in planning our nights. Each day pretty much ended at dinner for us. Problem was, we weren't ready to end our night but had no interest in going to a crowded bar so we decided to go to the store, load up on cheese, olives and all kinds of other finger foods, grabbed a couple of bottles of win and we went back to our house and laid our spread out and talked long into the night. Or until 10:30pm  when Ronlyn said she had to go home. I swear it felt like 2am. If you want to party hard, call me LOL. 

Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

2 Mannions Speak :

AlysL - A woman just trying to make it through the day. said...

Another perfect day! While ya'll were getting your pedicures, I was busy exploring the Univ of Washington Campus! So beautiful! The Asian market was fabulous! I had no idea what I was ordering...and I did order two chicken wings...just in case I didn't like the other food I ordered! The girl didn't give me 2 wings...she gave me $2 worth! So we all had a couple of wings on our drive to Volunteer Park! Not to worry, the food was all amazing! I loved and ate everything! Volunteer park was beautiful - and you know anytime you put a camera in front of the girls, they are like deer in the headlight....they stop and start posing! Didn't think I would ever get them off the camel. LOL I love being the camera man- well -camera woman! Did I say I much I love the oysters in the NorthWest? Elliots was fabulous...so was the Dirty Martinis, wine and margaritas..... and the Coconut Crème Pie from Dahlia's bakery was mouth watering.... So great seeing Ronlyn and her bags of books! Wonderful night, great friends....yes, we partied all night! LOL

Leiha said...

LOL no one parties like we do!