Walking to the ends of the Earth

Or Europe at least!

This was the day we decided to go wandering east of Gerolimenas. The hard part was making any progress because we kept stopping to take pictures. I was using Mia's camera for some high quality pics, Sharon was taking gorgeous pics with hers and Su was using my phone so we could have pics for the blog. Nancy had the job of driver.


Our first official stop was in this mostly abandoned town of Vathia. We could walk among the ruins and take lots of pics. I think we spent over an hour there. We have tons of pics of stone but we couldn't stop taking pictures. The buildings here just ooze history.

Doesn't it look like a fairy tale?




Next up was lunch. From the cliffs we saw this beautiful coastal town and we just knew we would have good food there. Course we were hungry so that helped make our decision for us. We went with the restaurant that we could find parking in, as long as they had Internet which they did. We had one of our favorite lunches there, we'd been looking for an octopus dish that wasn't just grilled octopus and found it here. It was an octopus salad. Very tasty. Also enjoyed the sardines, very salty but lots of flavors. We've been ordering the garlic salad everywhere we go. We all love it and since we saw bats flying around at night it will help keep the vampires away.


I totally thought this fish would be dry and I was so wrong. It was the best fish of my entire trip! Perfect char on the outside, moist on the inside. The juices were dripping. Well worth the money!

Next up was Poseidon's Temple. Have to say, it was not that impressive. I expected more for him.


From his temple there is a 45 minute (that's what the books say, took me an hour) hike to Cape Tenaro which is the southernmost point in Europe, not including islands. There's a lighthouse there and Su loves them. I'm not a big hiker but decided to do this since a 45 minute isn't a bad one. I'm from WA state, our hikes consists of lots of trees and shade. There was no shade and the hike was extremely rocky. There was no looking at your surroundings. You were looking down to navigate your way and just in case the rocks weren't fun enough the rocks were lined with thorn like bushes, and I would say 75-80 percent of it was uphill!

Uphill (both ways!)

A mosaic floor of a Roman ruin. 

It just gets rockier!


As soon as I saw the lighthouse in the distance I was done. I knew the end point was going to be anti-climatic but Nancy didn't want me to stay behind so I kept going and guess what? It was anti-climatic but I was there with my girls so I can't complain.


At least the walk back was easier since the sun had gone down the other side of the mountain and it was mostly downhill.

We were all so exhausted that we cancelled our date with the waiter (we drove to his restaurant when we got back versus walking the one block, that's how tired we were) and stayed in and had a wonderful dinner of cheese, fruit, olives and some shrimp scampi given to us by our fabulous hosts Linda and Kostas out on our balcony. It was really a perfect way to end the day.
Share on Google Plus

About Leiha

I love to eat and sleep. One thing is more fun to blog about than the other. In between eating and sleeping I love to travel, spend time with my family and talk about myself. :)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Mannions Speak :